New fire factor for BLB 2 : Flintlock

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Luxembourg

New fire factor for BLB 2 : Flintlock

Post by Luxembourg » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Hello every body
I have just got my BLB 2 set of rules. I compliment the Author and test players. It is very improved from the first edition which was already very good. It helps me to paint more figures. I hope to play my first game in 2012.

I have read a lot of french documents about this era here in France. Today I would like to submit an idea to your great spirits. It's about giving a +1 bonus to infantry firing with flintlocks wether they are all flontlocks or even when the unit firing have some pikes.

I think this should be considered since Jean de Borain who is a French historian who writed during the second half of the 18th century about the campaigns of the Maréchal de Luxembourg (the "Tapissier de Notre Dame") tells when he relate the battle of Steinkirque that the initial success of the allied troups was analysed by our (French) troops afterwards as being due to the fact that there was a lot of flintlock muskets in the Confederate army.

Flintlocks (especialy thoses of the Confederates : Lynn says the french firelock was a bit fragile due perhaps to a smaller bore. This can be the explanation why Fr leaders were not easily convinced to adopt it) permited a beter fire rate.
I would like to see what you think of this proposal.
Note that this would improve the Dragoon and grenadier fire also.
Kinds regards to all
Luxembourg
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: New fire factor for BLB 2 : Flintlock

Post by obriendavid » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:22 am

The period the rules have been written for is when troops were all starting to switch to flintlock muskets and that would become the normal weapon which is why there is no differential for weapons. You will probably find that it is the training quality of troops that is more important that which weapon they are using.

As you have said you have not tried the rules out yet I would suggest you try them as they are written first before you start making ammendments but as they are now your rules if you feel you want to make a differential I would suggest giving poorer quality weapons a -1 on shooting rather than giving more bonus' to other troops.
Cheers
Dave
Luxembourg

Re: New fire factor for BLB 2 : Flintlock

Post by Luxembourg » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Dave,

Thank you for so quick a response,

It is true I'm new to the rules, but I have some 30 years of wargaming behind me too... My concern is to stick to history without giving up playability (this is the concern of alll of us I think).

Jean de Baurain writed about the battle of Steinkerque (1692) that is to say relatively early in the war.

Considering the training of troops, I think but I must read more about that yet, old muskets (Matchlock) needed more training. I have read somewere that french militia units were, surprisingly for me, more armed with flintlocks than others... but I must read more about that.

I will play the rules as they are as soon as possible and again they are splendid (I liked much the Stinkerque battle report includes in the rules for exemple).

Your idea to give a minus 1 to old muskets armed troops is beter than mine I think since fire power was not very good at this time. So I adop it but will try the rules as they are for some time before introducing it. I hope you will consider the proposal too at least to have a try.

Cheers

Luxembourg