Huguenots in Ireland 1690/91

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Huguenots in Ireland 1690/91

Post by andy thompson » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:01 pm

This should probably be subtitled part 76 or something as I realise it's been done before, but anyway, here we go again :roll: .

I'm planning to paint the three infantry battalions over the next few weeks and this is what information I have gathered together so far. Anything further to this would be much appreciated.

What is known and appears to be undisputed is that there were 3 Infantry Battalions at the Boyne and these were commanded by Infantry Colonels Isaac de La Melonière, Francois du Cambon and Pierre Massue, Comte de La Caillemotte.

Received wisdom on uniform colours appears to be Gris blanc in the French style but I've yet to find anything at all on cuffs and lining colours. I suppose that gives me licence to give each Battalion a different colour and to that end I think I'll go with red, white and blue. Again, unless anyone knows differently?

From various links and wisdom from this forum over the years I've gleaned that they seem to have been roughly handled by Jacobite cavalry after crossing the river. War, Religion and Service, Huguenot Soldiering, 1685-1713 states that the infantry had "up-to-date flintlock muskets and swords but were without bayonets (or) pikes". So, for my purposes, flintlocks it is and 3 stand, all musket Battalions.

And finally, the flags. From the same publication "Jan van Wyck's Boyne paintings apparently show a Huguenot regiment...bearing two colours, one blue and the other white, each with a white overall cross and a first canton semée of gold fleurs-de-lis." So, a little creative licence would suggest that the blue faced Battalion has the flag with the blue field mentioned above and the red faced battalion a similar flag with a red field. The white faced Battalion's a bit more complicated as I'd be reluctant to add a gold device to a white field. Doesn't that break a few heraldry rules? So, maybe a black field?

Anyway, that's the plan. Any glaring errors?

Andy
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Huguenots in Ireland 1690/91

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:24 am

Andy,

pondered the same conundrum for the last 20 years!

Clarence and I have done some research and conjencture and are coming up (shortly) with designs based on 16th century Hueguenot designs, the Maltese Cross used by them from 1688 and other French heraldry. Should be available soon
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:03 am

Interesting. I look forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Andy
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 am

I'm currently painting up the same three regiments, modelled on what Barry painted and sold a while ago, they've all got dark grey coats, with blue, green and black cuffs, I did copy Barry's idea for the flags and made my own, which are here:
http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... flags.html
I've also been toying the idea of adding a Hugonot cross either in the centre of the St George's cross, or replacing the French canton. But I just might wait until Barry's/Clarance's flags are realised.
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:21 pm

yar68 wrote:I'm currently painting up the same three regiments, modelled on what Barry painted and sold a while ago, they've all got dark grey coats, with blue, green and black cuffs, I did copy Barry's idea for the flags and made my own, which are here:
http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... flags.html
Thanks for the ideas, you and Barry, and Andy:
This should probably be subtitled part 76 or something as I realise it's been done before, but anyway, here we go again :roll: .
for "risking" raising the topic again :wink:. I have not yet had time to peruse all the good stuff here on LoA.

As for Schomberg's Rgt of Horse, is the red faced blue uniform depicted on pp 78-79 in Campaign 160 generally accepted? Or is there discussion on same elsewhere on LoA?

TIA,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:29 pm

The Huguenots also had a regiment of Horse (Schomberg's) and Dragoons. The Regiment of Horse fought in Ireland but I don't think the Dragoons did.

I guess we are also in the dark for their Gideons/Flags. Did Schomberg have a coat of arms?

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Cheriton wrote:
As for Schomberg's Rgt of Horse, is the red faced blue uniform depicted on pp 78-79 in Campaign 160 generally accepted? Or is there discussion on same elsewhere on LoA?

TIA,

Michael
Having taken the time a few minutes ago to read pp 78-78 more closely I now see that he is surrounded by James' Life Guards (red faced blue). :oops:

And I note that "Schomberg's aide vainly attempting to come to the rescue" is dressed in gray with red facings. Would this necessarily be his regiment of horse, I wonder?

Edward:
The Regiment of Horse fought in Ireland but I don't think the Dragoons did.l
FWIW, Campaign 160 does not list them in the OOB?

Michael

~ Shakespeare
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Our first wave of flags will be 'realized' fairly soon. The Huguenots are finished and will be among the first available, though we've resorted to some speculation as well. They are different from those that have appeared on the LoA site before...

Andy, I think you're safe on using the cuff colors you like. Every reference I have simple list their uniforms as unknown...
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Ray:
Churchill wrote:Hi Michael,

There is always some confusion between the English Schomberg Horse and that of the Huguenot Schomberg Horse at the Boyne.

I'd go with the Grey coats with Red facing's for the Huguenot Schomberg regiment.

Regards,

Ray.
Thanks for the history, I think that confusion sounds vaguely familiar. I shall go with the gray faced red. Perhaps when quindia's flags emerge we can concoct a plausible guidon design as well?

Cheers,

Michael

~ Shakespeare
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Michael,

I don't know if the Schomberg flag on the Warflag website is either the English version or the Huguenot version, so I too will be interested with what Barry and Clarance come up with.

Cheers,

Ray.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:53 am

Hello everybody

The Dragoon Regiment was known as Miremont's. They were paid for by both the Dutch and English but fought in the service of the Duke of Savoy.

There seems to have been other Huguenot infantry regiments that were rasied from refugees in Switzerland for Savoyian Service that were paid for by the Martime Powers.

Found the info on British Army Lineages.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:01 am

Captain of Dragoons wrote:Hello everybody

Found the info on British Army Lineages.

cheers
Edward
Edward:

Was that the Blog I just visited and bookmarked?

http://britisharmylineages.blogspot.com/

I had my copy of Frederick's (1969) "Lineage Book of the British Army: Mounted Corps and Infantry, 1660-1968" out last night. I had forgotten what a challenge it is to trace units with that.

It appears to be a published edition of an original research thesis copy perhaps. Does anyone know if there was an edited official publication of this work in ensuing years?

Michael

~ Shakespeare
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:14 am

Yes, that's the one

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 am

quindia wrote:Andy, I think you're safe on using the cuff colors you like. Every reference I have simple list their uniforms as unknown...
This has actually got me thinking. Dangerous I know :wink: . Is it possible that the cuff colours are not mentioned anywhere, because they weren't coloured?

Anyway, more to ponder. I'll hold off doing anything about flags until I see what you've come up with.

Andy