Hussars and Haiduken

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
kadeshuk

Hussars and Haiduken

Post by kadeshuk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:17 pm

How should we treat Hussars (of the light cavalry persuasion) and Haiduken (croats) ? I'm constructing an Austrian Army for 1690ish and I'm not sure that the Raw Warrior classification to which they seem to be forced into are appropriate.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hussars and Haiduken

Post by barr7430 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Of course you can make any judgement call you wish on whether they are Drilled or Raw - your choice but they are still in this period I believe, Irregular formations.

The RAW rating applied to obvious warriors castes: Highlanders, Moors, Native Americans, Turkish tribes, Cossacks is not a negative comment on their fighting skills (probably individually superior to ANY Guardsman whether he be English Dutch or French but rather a relative comparison of fighting style in the context of linear warfare. A musketeer in a French regiment of the line was in a uniform and line up because that was his job.. he had no choice even if he was petrified. An irregular probably had a somewhat different perspective or at least his leader would have. Would a Croat unit stand in front of a firing line to a man and be cut down because they were ordered to do it OR would they ride away(the sensible thing to do) to live and fight another day, collect booty, slit a few Turkish thorats on a raid... I think you see where I am going with this.
If you can evidence repeated stand up fighting against formed troops, slugging it out in the battle line, advancing in concert with other bodies of the same type in the same formations, following the same processes.. they are Drilled. Otherwise, in the context of BLB at least, the are Raw tribal irregulars with an instinct to survive.

Hope this provides a deeper view of troop classification.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford