couple of playtest queries

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

couple of playtest queries

Post by markdo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 pm

We had a little play last night. Here are a couple of queries resulting from this. I'd appreciate some of you kind experienced players helping with this.

1. If a unit is routing do you need to use an order to try to rally them at Step 12?

2. If 2 horse units charge and one fails the test I presume it runs away immediately with the other unit charging after it. In our case the chasing unit did not catch up. Is it regarded in subsequent turns as being in pursuit. Is it still charging? Does it require an order to try to stop the charge?

Many thanks,

Mark
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: couple of playtest queries

Post by flick40 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 pm

1. If a unit is routing do you need to use an order to try to rally them at Step 12?

Yes. Page 50 Voluntary Reasons to test Morale. You are not compelled to rally a routed unit but they will continue to rout away until you do.

2. If 2 horse units charge and one fails the test I presume it runs away immediately with the other unit charging after it. In our case the chasing unit did not catch up. Is it regarded in subsequent turns as being in pursuit. Is it still charging? Does it require an order to try to stop the charge?

Both test to charge, the one who failed tests again for being charged and follows the result. Page 40 Simultaneous Charges

Joe
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks Joe, I don't think we tested for being charged.
I don't see a definition of "pursuit" in the rules. My opponent argued that pursuit is a consequence of rout via losing a melee, whereas my view was that it meant any rout. So, I reckon that my horse were pursuing his until an order was given to cease and this was followed by a successful morale test.
Mark
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Mark, you can find the pursuing rule on page 55. You may attempt to stop pursuit immediately after breaking a unit by passing a morale check. Failing that horse pursue 1 turn and if contact is broken stop disordered, needing a Form Order to Rally.

Joe
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks Joe- it is indeed there.
I am suitably admonished for not reading closely enough!
:oops

Mark
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 am

Oh no Mark, no admonishment, just glad to help. :)
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I was admonishing myself for not reading properly.
Thanks for your help!
Mark

:wink: