Clanrickarde Regiment

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
quindia
General
General

Clanrickarde Regiment

Post by quindia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Anyone know the colors for this Jacobite regiment (Barry? Didn't we use them at Historicon?). I assume their coats were red, but I can't find facing colors or flags in any source to which I have access.
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Clanrickarde Regiment

Post by andy thompson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Apologies for the spot of threadnomancy but did you ever find an answer to this query?

I've been hunting around for it too with a mind to painting this regiment next.

I quite like the idea of red coats but I don't believe they were one of the original Irish Establishment that declared for James so I'd have thought they might be French equipped i.e White/Grey coats?

The Burke/Bourke coat of arms is a red cross on a rather splendid yellow background so as conjecture I was thinking either Red coat with Yellow facings or White (Grey) coat with Red facings would make sense in the absence of other evidence.

Does anyone have any better info?

Thanks

Andy
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:54 pm

iain1704 wrote:After the bout on the Dutch guards, the short answer to this one is 'I don't know'.Iain
:shock:
iain1704 wrote:What I can tell you is it was raised early in 1689, although it was not one of the established Irish regiments, so is more likely to have been dressed in Grey than Red.

hope that is of some use

regards

Iain
It is of course of some use thanks.

Front Rank just e-mailed me to tell me that they're on their way. Huzzah!

What I'm going to do then is go with grey coats, red facings, mash together some flags based on the Burke/Bourke coat of arms...

...then plaster them all over the interwebs. That way I'll be correct by osmosis in about 5 years time (insert evil laugh here).

Andy
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Clarence and Andy,

May be too late if you have started to paint up.

However suggest you each check out the pictures 'Churchill' (Ray) uploaded from the 'Like a stone wall' group Boyne game demonstrated at the Worlds in 2009. The post is on p4 currently as listed today.

In the initial set of pics taken by Ray the regiment is shown with colours in pic4 and pic 8. In the second set further down the post, pic 14 shows both flags, colonel and battalion colours.

We went for red coats and the colours are St George cross on a yellow field. The differencing is by way of the 'mountain lion' clan badge and the Burke motto. I dug the details out from a very old peerage book I found on line

Regards
Tim
'Like a Stone wall' Wargames Group
North Nottinghashire
UK
http://www.freewebs.com/like-a-stone-wall/
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks for the info, Tim!

I'm waiting for the Warfare minis to come out, so I haven't really started anything yet.
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks Tim, those look great.

Following on from Iain's advice I think I'm going to go with the grey coat/red facings look though. In fact, here's a cheeky wee proof of concept fellow I've recently completed:

As for flags, the red cross on yellow background for the Regimental flag is exactly what I'd imagined, especially as the Burke/Bourke coat of arms looks a bit like this:

I'd probably include the lion on the Regimental flag too.

For the Colonel's colour I think a plain yellow field with the red cross pattee and possibly the motto "Ung roy, ung foy, ung loy".

Andy
Eugenio von Savoy

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Andy,

Sounds like you will be going identically with the Bourke standards as we did.
I have some more pics that may be of use to you and show Ulick Bourke's (Viscount Galway) brigade at Aughrim.

In addition to the two smaller detachments of Walter Bourke (they are traditionally accorded the distinction of runing of of ammunition whilst defending the end of the Cuaseway against Oxford's Horse and were reduced to firing stones and their coat buttons from their weapons!) and John Bourke (Baron Bophin) there were two battalions of Ulick Bourke's foot at the battle, one being the 'fusilier' battalion.

After long discussions with Mike McNally it has not been possible to determine if there was anything different about them compared with the second battalion. It is possible they may have been specifically armed with flintlocks from France?

The pics are to be found on our website here:
http://like-a-stone-wall.webs.com/apps/ ... id=3950217

Hope this asists you.

Regards,
Tim

'Like a stone wall' Wargames Group
Nottinghamshire
UK
http://like-a-stone-wall.webs.com
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:23 am

Hi Tim,

There are some really excellent photo on your site, thanks for the link, I shall be pinching a few ideas!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ray
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:00 pm

More threadnomancy, but I thought I'd stick a shot of the chaps I've just finished in here as well as in the Gallery sub-forum. All part of my evil plan :P

yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:08 am

Well here's my take on Clanricarde's regt. There's a few more pics on my blog.

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... rl-of.html

Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/