Killiecrankie questions???

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Killiecrankie questions???

Post by barr7430 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Just clicked on Ray's link to the pic of BB's grave and a thought struck me....

Unless Balfour's body was carried away and then returned to the battlefield after 1690 (when all troubles in Scotland were over), how could he have been buried on the field when the army he was part of was routing and suffered up to 1,000 casualties? Nobody would have stopped to dig a grave in a rout! How would such a spot be marked with a huge stone such as the one in the picture? surely not at the time.. " 'scuse us McSporran, whilst we dig a pit for our brigadier's hacked up corpse, carry on chopping around us we'll be finished soon then you can deal with us!" :shock:

I am a fairly well developed sceptic so I will posit this as the a potential solution with a view to suspending disbelief:
Someone remembered where he was killed(a survivor). After all the trouble had died down a stone was placed at/near the spot. Possibly the body is buried there, possibly not. A re-interrment?

Otherwise.... I would have some doubts. I didn't visit this precise spot on recent trips so maybe the sign enlightens the visitor...

Anyone know?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel1689

Post by Colonel1689 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:43 pm

barr7430 wrote:Colonel1689... a question,

on your map you show both Leven's and Kenmuir's in 2 divisions each, why did you do that?
I know these regiments were larger than the more experienced units but did you have info that specified each formed in separate divisions?

thanks
The map was a copy from John Sadlers Scottish Battles book. I believe that he stated that the regiments of Leven's and Kenmuir's were split into two battalions each.

Also the book 'I met the devil and Dundee' by Stuart Reid shows in his battle map all the regiments split into two battalions with only Lauder's and Weem's single companies guarding the flanks.
Colonel1689

Post by Colonel1689 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 pm

There is also graves of redcoat officers near Urrard house. As I understand it, the battle was not the massive rout as some history books will tell you and that a number of companies stood their ground and pulled back in good order some staying until darkness in and around Urrard house and having time to bury their dead.

If the battle was around 7pm darkness in July isn't until after 10pm. So units were on the field for maybe 2 or 3 hours after the battle was over.