How to represent Russian Horse Grenadiers

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

How to represent Russian Horse Grenadiers

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:52 pm

They consisted of 10 companies from 10 different dragoon regiments.
Each company was 100 men at full strength.

This means that a "unit" in BLB of 12 miniatures(2 BLB squadrons)
Should at least be made up of 4 different companies.

But would that just be too far out?
If I do Horse Grenadier regiment 40. Then the first 4 companies would be all white, green/red, Blue/red and White/blue Would this even look like a unit?

Or should I keep it simpler and keep each BLB squadron the same color.
So 6 figures in the same colour instead of only 3 in the same color that I'm toying with doing. Would it look to messy?
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Re: How to represent Russian Horse Grenadiers

Post by RogerC » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:18 am

Truls personally I would probably keep a unit the same....but.... how about do a base of figures in white then a base in blue or red or green. If they look odd sat together back to plan A and you raise two seperate squadrons from them using these as the first base for each. I they look cool move onto he next unit.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 am

Hello Truls,

Look at all those Converged Grenadier Units. It is the same method. They started to wear the same uniform as soon as the GNW was over and the Regiments became a permanent formation.

If you take Converged Grenadiers of SYW or NAP the Austrians had at least different bearskin bags to show from which Regiment the came from.

If you don't mind and you are no Member of the BCAFP put them all in the same (blue?) coat and just have their collars show different colors.

My 2cts

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Hello Truls,

Look at all those Converged Grenadier Units. It is the same method. They started to wear the same uniform as soon as the GNW was over and the Regiments became a permanent formation.

If you take Converged Grenadiers of SYW or NAP the Austrians had at least different bearskin bags to show from which Regiment the came from.

If you don't mind and you are no Member of the BCAFP put them all in the same (blue?) coat and just have their collars show different colors.

My 2cts

Günter
Might do that, or I might "expand" the company to a squadron, each 6 are the same uniform.
Il Granatiere
Private
Private

Post by Il Granatiere » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:55 pm

My opinion is to expand the unit and form a six figure squadron, but in alternative, considering that the basic unit is the squadron, you may mix those regiments with the same color for the uniform and different color pipings, having a 3 or 4 squadrons unit similarly clad, remaining true to the "historical" formations.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Truls,

Where did you get your uniform colors for the grenadier companies that made up No. 40?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Dfogleman2 wrote:Truls,

Where did you get your uniform colors for the grenadier companies that made up No. 40?
something like that?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/49/3f ... 10da0b.jpg

or if you find someone who can read Russian...

http://uniforma-army.ru/rossia_kavaleria_PetrI.php

but if google translates it and it still makes sense...

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... _PetrI.php

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:58 pm

The chart in the Russian article seems to come from Angus Konstam’s Book originally published by Osprey. No sayinging it’s wrong, just wonder if Truls has found another source. Barry informs me that my dragoons will ship tomorrow. Yay!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:17 am

I used Tacitus.

I use this one that lists the regiments.
http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C1 ... .htm#named
And then I go to Tacitus to find the regiment's uniforms.
Don't know if that is any better than Osprey based sources.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:14 am

I am painting a unit right now. It will look very uniform with not only the same colour coats but also horses. Call it licence but so far.. I am loving it. I will try and blog a couple of pix tomorrow
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm planning on a mixed unit, 12 men, one base from each regiment.

On a similar vein, does anyone know whether Sheremetev's and Menshikov's Life Squadrons would operate separately (as a single base each, I assume) or were they combined for action?
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Let me throw something in here. Tacitus has a link to a Russian study of uniforms based on extant regimental records. I don’t have the link before me but I google translated it several years ago and here is what it says about the grenadier dragoon regiments: The study shows clothing and equipment that arrived in a given year. I’m only writing the information re coats and caps. Grenadier Regiment of Dragoons Kropotovo, formed in 1709. 1709 - 795 grenadier caps, 999 dark green coats, 8dark green non-officers coats with braid. Grenadier Regiment of Dragoonsvon der Ropp, formed on 1709. No information on uniform colors for 1709. 1020 green coats in 1712. 947 grenadier caps and 900 coats (color not mentioned) in 1711. Grenadier Regiment of Dragoons Khlopva. Formed in 1709. 1709 - 682 grenadier caps, 895 coats (colors not mentioned). There then came in 1709 1000 green coats, 1000 red waistcoats, 1000 red pants, 1000 pairs of boots with spurs and 1000 red mantles. 1000 grenadier caps came in 1710.

This would indicate that the grenadier were uniformly dressed in 1709.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:58 pm

Russian James wrote:I'm planning on a mixed unit, 12 men, one base from each regiment.

On a similar vein, does anyone know whether Sheremetev's and Menshikov's Life Squadrons would operate separately (as a single base each, I assume) or were they combined for action?
What I have read about their existence and role they have been a simple Bodyguard. Where he goes they go. So if he intends to lead a Dragoon Regiment into the Fight, the Dragoon Regiment has a Elite Squadron/Base/Company "attached :wink:

Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:23 am

Dfogleman2 wrote:Let me throw something in here. Tacitus has a link to a Russian study of uniforms based on extant regimental records. I don’t have the link before me but I google translated it several years ago and here is what it says about the grenadier dragoon regiments: The study shows clothing and equipment that arrived in a given year. I’m only writing the information re coats and caps. Grenadier Regiment of Dragoons Kropotovo, formed in 1709. 1709 - 795 grenadier caps, 999 dark green coats, 8dark green non-officers coats with braid. Grenadier Regiment of Dragoonsvon der Ropp, formed on 1709. No information on uniform colors for 1709. 1020 green coats in 1712. 947 grenadier caps and 900 coats (color not mentioned) in 1711. Grenadier Regiment of Dragoons Khlopva. Formed in 1709. 1709 - 682 grenadier caps, 895 coats (colors not mentioned). There then came in 1709 1000 green coats, 1000 red waistcoats, 1000 red pants, 1000 pairs of boots with spurs and 1000 red mantles. 1000 grenadier caps came in 1710.

This would indicate that the grenadier were uniformly dressed in 1709.
That does makes things easier if somewhat more boring. :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:17 pm

I've gone for blue faced red with a unit and it looks very nice
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford