Airlie Hotel

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Airlie Hotel

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Dale, do you have any more info about the hotel?
I remember you saying that you were supposed to have a family get together in the hotel on 20th April.
Did it go ahead and is the hotel back open so that I can book rooms for the next big bash?

Cheers
Dave
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Tue May 05, 2009 7:09 pm

When I passed today it appears not to be open yet as the builders are still working on it and at the moment it has a for lease sign up so it would appear that that they don't have anyone to run it yet.

But as they've been at it for ages You would think they would be finished soon

Kutusov
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed May 06, 2009 11:23 am

Thanks for that. It looks as if the old group are not to going to be running it if it is up for lease. Their communications certainly need sortng out as I had a triple booking for the last game in March and at no point did anyone from the hotel get in touch to say that there were problems.

Looks as if its back to the Thrumbs for us unless Mrs Miggins has enough extra space.

Cheers
Dave
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Thu May 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Dave

The '3 Stooges' have already 'blagged' the total accomadation allowance at what is probably the 'cheeriest B&B' ANYWHERE (outside of Grimsby anyway)!!!!!!

Sorry Fellas.

Unfortunately, as I 'predicted' when the Airlie first burnt down, I never ever thought it would be 'quickly operational', and that was BEFORE the 'Great Recession' struck!!!!

Blucher ('The All Knowing')
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Mon May 11, 2009 8:16 am

I finally caught up with Glynn at the weekend. It became clear that he was not in Kirriemuir. He is running a pub in Sussex.
A new management team is being appointed. Glynn promised to get them to contact me but I've heard nothing so far. Very annoying. I have an AGM booked in there for this evening but I don't think that's going to happen. Looks like my dining room is about to be invaded.
On a more positive note Glynn told me that the interior work at the Airlie is almost complete and that the rooms look great.
As soon as I have something definite to pass on I'll post it here.
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Mon May 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Gents/Dale

Sorry Dale, I forgot you were 'wired up' on the IT front!!! (its so hard to digest after all those years.............).

Anyway. At the March game was it discussed about 'possibly moving Peter's Indian Mutiny game to Kirrie, in the Guide Hall, for November- or did I just 'dream that'................

Blucher (going mad?)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 11, 2009 6:00 pm

Peter was talking about that at the Falkirk show on Saturday. The Kirrie hall is certainly a great venue so I suppose it depends if it is available.

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue May 12, 2009 10:42 am

If the Kirrie Guide Hall is available then that would be preferable for the IM game. I think we will need a large 28' table for the game I envisage and the Heugh just can't cope with that. It means shifting a bucketload of stuff for me from Stonehaven but should mean less inconvenience for others.

Can we say "Under review" for now. To be discussed and confirmed at the Malplaquet game.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Mon May 18, 2009 8:44 am

The Airlie Hotel shows no signs of life at the moment. Let us assume that it is not available for accommodation and meals for the Malplaquet game. The alternative arrangements should roll smoothly into place like a well oiled machine. OK, we'll muddle on.

I was not party to the discussion about the November game moving to Kirriemuir but will be happy to book the Guide Hall. We should decide one way or the other asap to be sure of getting the hall. It books up quickly and early in the run up to the festive season.
Hopefully by that time the Airlie will be back to normal service for B&B and meals.

On a positive note, humping around will be reduced to a minimum with all boards and tables stored at the hall.

Peter can you let me know what's happening for November including the proposed date.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:47 am

Dale, you optimist :roll: you should have listened to the 12 Private Fraser Prophets of Doom who are THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN PESSIMISTS because as we predicted.. it is so... written in the great book of F*** Ups...

After the great fire that purged the unholy city of the plain named Kirri the builders of the temple of Airli were afflicted by a strange lethargy and took up their tools no more as the money lenders and wise men of the temple bickered over the costs of rebuilding the great holy place of wargaming
No more would luke warm beer, soggy carpets and dodgy 1960s disco lighting be known to the 13 disciples of the dice... this is the word of the lord.

By the way.. have you done anything about that BLUE BOARD yet
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Mon May 18, 2009 11:37 am

OK Barry, the Pessimists were right. To paraphrase somebody, "if they think they can't....".

Plan B was tried in March. The even better Plan B(b) now swings into action. The hall is booked and has been advance paid to be sure of the booking. The boards and tables are at the hall.

If someone can confirm numbers I'll book a table(s) for our Saturday evening meal. The admin and organisation of this might be easier for the restaraunt if we booked a number of smaller tables.

I'll let Ewan at Treffers know that a hungry horde will give him advance orders for Saturday lunches.
I have menus for Treffers and The Spice Station. :D

Is everyone happy to get Sunday lunch from the Co-op next door? :D
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Mon May 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Barry

.............very good!

Will copies of the 'Wargamers Bible' be available to 'contemplate' over the June weekend?

OR...

would you be able to give a 'surmon' and 'blessing' to us all, before the game commences? I think the 'French' will need it with the Allies having 3 out of the 4 'Horsemen of the Apocalypse' on their side.....(yours truely and the Nicholson 'twins')!!!!!!!!!!!!

God help them!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Dale- your 'food supplies' over the March weekend were very good. I for one are totally happy with a 'repeat', if thats what everyone else is happy with.
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Mon May 18, 2009 7:01 pm

Dear Blucher,
Not so much Horsemen of the Apocalypse more a 6 legged Pantomime Horse.

Schnapps
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Mein Gott , Kev!!!!

Can't believe such 'abuse' from you!

Just because you've 'absconded' from your usual 'mates' to go over to 'the darkside', I would still have thought better of you!

You'll soon be sporting a 'dodgy droopy tache', bike clips, splashing on 'eau de garleec', 'humming' Vanessa Paradis tunes AND asking to command 'The Old Guard' at the next Naps Game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Tue May 19, 2009 6:20 pm

I think I did most of that ln the late 80's :!:
au revoir