PARTIZAN & R2E

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

PARTIZAN & R2E

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:34 am

Just a wee update on our demo game of R2E at Partizan. I am really breaking some old habits these days by actually 'playing' games at shows!
That's what comes from being there with your mates.. I'd almost forgotten how nice that feels!
Dave O'Brien was Games Master and I must say, a very fine Sales Manager too! Endless patience and enthusiasm for explaining what R2E is, does and how it works.
For Jack Glanville, David Imrie, Kevin Calder, Adrian Howe and Colin Jack it was a chance to acquaint/reacquaint with the constatly revised R2E as it nears the market. I think those new to R2E picked up the groove pretty quickly and were reasonably comfortable with its broad principles after three or four turns. We did quite a lot during the game which was a section of Quatre Bras.
Interest was very high and many people took the time to stay at the table or return several times to check progress and ask more questions. We had many Naps Addicts and they did not seem to have any probles with the broad thrust of the rules which is pretty much about command and control.

I suggested to some clubs that when the rules hit the streets if they want to run a game day and I /we can make it then it may be possible to have such an event. There was actually a good positive response to this idea.

Even at these very very very late stages it is still possible to find a glitch.. we did that yesterday in was in the FIBUA rules and it has now been sorted!

I also had a fair contribution in terms of my Augsburg collection to the accompanying table which was Adrian Sheperd's very fine Malplaquet refight. As I know he has BLB I was a bit puzzled why the rules weren't being used for the game. A look at some of his table companions for the day answered that!.. it was the GW gang who were of course testing Black Powder! before its release. I managed to get a glimpse of it in its pre production form and it looks very nice. In my opinion far superior to the other 'big release' recently.

I do not intend to rush R2E onto the shelves in a sort of gazumping manoeuvre against Black Powder as the focus of both rule sets is quite different. R2E deals with 25 years of War 1790-1815 in a lot of detail. Black Powder covers the period 1700-1900. I see very little conflict and only limited cross over.

R2E is finished, the only things being done at the moment are replacement of certain place holder photographs and the contracting of a Printer. If incidentally anyone out there knows of a very reliable printer possibly with gaming industry track record please let me know at
wordtwister@hotmail.co.uk . I want to keep my options open to the last!

Other wise, the show was very good, if rather hectic..
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:39 pm

As Barry says it was great to see how much interest there were in the rules especially from people who had been playing naps for years with many sets and the positive feedback they were giving. There were a few that I spoke to who had large collections of napoleonic figures but had never used them for years because they didn't like the rules that were currently available but were highly enthusiastic with the explanations of the rules mechanisms and were about to go home and dust off their collections. There was one chap who had over 16,000 nap figures, that's probably even more than Dale's collection which is pretty mind boggling.

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:11 pm

16,000 Napoleonic figures is pretty serious. I get a hard time for my "small" collection which is now approaching 3,500, 98% of which are painted and based and contain no munchkins!

Great to see the reaction to the new rules. Nothing quite like building up the anticipation. It's come a long way since our first LOGW Napoleonic game. Now , can I also get all of the rest of you guys interested in the Indian Mutiny !
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: PARTIZAN & R2E

Post by kiwipeterh » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:09 am

barr7430 wrote:Just a wee update on our demo game of R2E at Partizan.

I suggested to some clubs that when the rules hit the streets if they want to run a game day and I /we can make it then it may be possible to have such an event. There was actually a good positive response to this idea.
Hmmm. I'll be on a slow boat back to New Zealand in a few days and have a few gaming buddies (or at least I used to!) back there who would, I'm sure, leap at the chance of such an occurence.

:shock:

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 am

Well now,

the next street to me is called 'Invercargill' and the one beyond that is called 'Dunedin' and beyond that 'Otago' but that is probably the closest I'll get to NZ in the next couple of years :wink:

Henry Ford
Low Roller 1-1
Private
Private

Post by Low Roller 1-1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:10 pm

It was great to see the game running on sunday,

It looked very impressive and was going at quite a swift pace the last time I was around the table.

I am really Looking forward to the rules coming out having had a look through the working copy on the end of the table.

It forced me into buying more Victrix (this time Highlanders) :lol:
Low Roller 1-1

Rolling low since 1975
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Low-Roller 1-1,

sorry if I was responsible for you donating more of your 'hard earned' to those Victrix chaps! :oops:

Glad you liked the look of what was going on 8)

Henry Ford
Low Roller 1-1
Private
Private

Post by Low Roller 1-1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Not sure who the guy was i was chatting to (sorry if your on this forum) :oops:
But after being taken through some of the new bits in R2E we basically spent 30mins or so saying that this was just the size/ feel of a game we were looking for :lol:

As for buying more models thats what shows are there for :wink:

Oh well more models to build before i can get to the highlanders :roll:
Low Roller 1-1

Rolling low since 1975
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Sounds like you were talking to Dave O'Brien

Henry Ford