painting Indan Skin for Indian Mutiny ?

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
dab
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

painting Indan Skin for Indian Mutiny ?

Post by dab » Mon May 03, 2010 10:38 am

Hi :D
Whats the best way to painting Indan Skin 28mm for Indian Mutiny ?
what paint colours would suit for base coatfor skin, middle layer and then highlights?
" Please" any help or hints would be most helpfull
Thanks
David
what of the long list to paint next ?
David
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon May 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Foundry has a new range of skin tone triads...

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/paint/fleshpotsset.asp

Maybe 'Near East'?
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Mon May 03, 2010 4:19 pm

I use Citadel Scorched brown as an undercoat and then bulid up with a mix of Scorched brown and Vermin brown, and then add a little Bleached bone to the mix to highlight up. However its worth considering which part of India your mutineers are from! The far north of India has Nepalese and Pathans to name but two, rather different skin tones altogether .Hope this helps!
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Tue May 04, 2010 10:31 am

Hello,

When i've painted Indians (Sikhs, Pathans, Mutineers) i've used a sand colour base coat, then a wash of very watered down oil paint burnt umber and raw sienna. Then you could add a highlight if you wish.

Some of the new ink washes would gice a similar effect. The Games Workshop inks being very good.

Bearing in mind, after much campaigning in the central and northern Indian sun, everyone, including British troops, would be very dark skinned.

I did my Goorkhas as normal flesh tone, with a little yellow added, then highlight to taste.

Sorry if this all sounds a little vague.

Regards,

Dean