The Saxon Invasion of England Oct. 2013

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Saxon Invasion of England Oct. 2013

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:37 am

Dear Friends,

As I mentioned already in the LoA Weekenders Section I herewith start my own Thread to collect all necessary Information for my 2(or 3) week trip to England and eventually to a part of Scotland :?: .

First of all the main thing will be that a travel with my own car from Vienna to the area arround Rotterdam to find myself a Ferry to cross over to England.

http://www.stenaline.de/faehren

The next part is the way from Harwich, thats where I intend to set my Saxon Foot on Britains soil, to Leighton Buzzard to visit my Friend and Sculptor Steve Barber, getting a tour through his business and some long talks about the future of the Saxons and Westphaliens :wink: .
Maybe I stay there for a day or two.

After this visit I travel the ominous M1 up to Derby to meet with some of you for another superb weekend.

The next part is still a bit foggy as it depends on what info's I can collect on the March '13 weekender. Maybe it is enough to follow one of you north into the Wilderness...ahem .. I ment to Scotland of course.

Or turn around heading back to Saxony to look for events related to 1813...Leipzig?

It is planed to have 2 or 3 weeks of Holiday.

Any suggestions are welcome!
And there's still plenty of time until than.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Saxon Invasion of England Oct. 2013

Post by barr7430 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm

It will of course be the friendliest invasion in UK history with the natives welcoming this German conquest! :wink:

Seriously Gunter, investigate the Channel Tunnel rail link via Calais. 2.5 hours from Rotterdam by road, 3 minutes under the water in your car/train then you are in Folkestone!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Thank You Barry, I will be on the Lookout for it.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Yes of course I meant to type 30 minutes :oops: otherwise it would have been the supersonic train
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Arriving in Essex seems appropriate however... :)
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Friends,
most preparations are finished for the journey in October like the Transport boxes - 33litre from Real Useful - layered with magnetic sheets and enough to transport my Saxon Horde..ahem..Army over the Channel.
Today some gaming-'material' arrived, also known as dice :wink: .

More of it later.
Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Dear Friends,

Holidays from October 4th to October 22nd 2013!

Stuff to be taken with me will be:
approx. 800 Miniatures, Bob's gift, one or two books of interest and 'some Dice'

Travel Route:
I intend to depart on Saturday or Sunday from Austria heading west by north through Germany to Hannover having a stay there over night to arrive in Hoek van Holland near Rotterdam on Tuesday. Shipping time will be approx. 8 hours. Setting my (Saxon) foot on english soil around 8:00PM on Tuesday evening. Staying in Harwich over night and driving, my first time, in England on the (wrong) left lane :wink: from there on Wednesday towards Leighton on Buzzard where I meet my Friend Steve Barber. I stay with him for two days until Friday morning in his living place talking about our friendship of the last years our ongoing business and future projects like Napoleonic Saxon troops, American Civil war and some other things like Franco Prussian War...!

On Friday I intend to drive up to Derby where I believe to arrive in the afternoon to meet all of you for a great gaming/chatting/drinking weekend :D

Not knowing my departure time on Sunday or on Monday when driving back to Harwich and leaving England on Tuesday again for mainland Europe. Next point to reach will be Leipzig on Wednesday evening, using it as my Center of opperations in Saxony until Sunday. Planed visits are Bautzen, Dresden and the Fortress of Koenigstein as well as some other places of Napoleonic and 17th Century importance.

Driving home to Austria starting on Sunday morning to arrive there probably on Monday depending on my will to start working again on Wednesday.

Derby and back again
by
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:29 am

Wishing you a safe journey and looking forward to meeting you and your Saxons next Friday...
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:24 pm

I hope you have a safe and uneventful journey Gunter, it's just a pity I can't get down to meet you but I'm sure Barry, Bob, Ade and the usual suspects (and most of them are very suspect) will make sure you have a great weekend.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:37 pm

obriendavid wrote:I hope you have a safe and uneventful journey Gunter, it's just a pity I can't get down to meet you but I'm sure Barry, Bob, Ade and the usual suspects (and most of them are very suspect) will make sure you have a great weekend.
Cheers
Dave
Thank you Dave!
I am quite sure that we will meet one day.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Brace Yourself!

The Saxon Invasion Forces have reached the Coast line!
They are to embark tomorrow afternoon to start their Invasion of Great Britain! They intend to disembark in Harwich, march to Leighton on Buzzard where they stay for two days to have parleys with local Suppliers and 'clothiers'. On Friday morning they begin their move to Derby..to meet their blooding and eventually their Doom :roll:

While on the march through Germany I heard rumors of Englishmen fearing the coming of the Saxon Horde :lol:

Didn't say Richard Harris those words:
'It is not numbers that counts but speed and surprise!'
So put your faith in God and keep your powder dry!

Cheers,
Günter

Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Don't think the English (or Scots) are that worried... However rumours are that some Swedes were seen beating a hasty retreat!

Shall we discuss alliance terms? :lol:
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:07 am

The Saxons were seen marching north!

With refreshments supplied by the local townsfolk, heavy support by their workshops and a friendly welcome by men and woman alike the Saxons rested for 2 days in the vicinity of Leighton. The clothier was coming down from Norfolk to meet the Saxon King together with his main supplier in England and its gun foundry for discussions about future projects which was Franco/Prussian War and Thirty Years War. Somewhere between all this we talked also about the 7 Years War.

Today we move our Army to the North and meet with all the others at Derby!

See You there!

Günter