Retreat from Moscow

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Retreat from Moscow

Post by jimmigoggles » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:12 pm

Hello Barry,

Not been here for a while!

I thought i'd drop you a line regarding a surprise i got at the Derby show this weekend.

I haven't been to a wargames show for a year. Drastic i know.

I had a chat with Dave Thomas and he showed me some absolutely fabulous figures and terrain that brought the years rushing back, with a jolt and a shock. Partly nice and partly, let's say, very annoying and a little upsetting.

I only got a fractured story. But got the jist of how Dave had got this wonderful collection.

Really, seeing it in the flesh after thirteen years, brought back how truly fantastic Paul was as a painter, converter, artist. And gent.

I know the years and memories fade, but the way this stuff was sold on, when it had no right to be flogged that way, has thoroughly angered me. The collection was given 'in trust', to be treasured. I know Paul was my friend but this was one of the collections that was handed over to certain other friends so that they could use, display, or just look at. But absolutely not for these collections to be sold on when they no longer meant anything. In some ways, it's like a private collector loaning an item to a museum and after a while the museum sells the items as their own.

I suppose it was lucky that Dave was offered first refusal. And really, for a pitiful amount of it's monetery worth, let alone the sentimental value. The fact that £100 of the selling price was to be 'given to charity' is neither here nor there. It was not this individual's to sell. It was just as easy to give it to Dave to give back to where it originally came from. Or, indeed, for the original group it was given to to keep and continue to use.

Very many apologies for venting my spleen on your site, but i have to say it soured my weekend a little. I felt i should write, but don't know your private email. So if you want to delete this message, i'll understand. Or, i'll try and rout out the edition of Wargames Illustrated that Duncan put photos of the collection in. Late 90's i think? Then people can have a look at the collection as it appeared way back when.

Apologies to anyone else that has read this and wonders what it is all about.

You might like to know, that the collection of the Sikh Wars get's an annual run out to display at my friend's local Sikh temple. It is always very well received. Paul's splendid Napoleonic French army has also been regularly used in many a SODS club game over the years to. I've thought a few times of bringing it along to one of your weekenders!

Anyways, if the Retreat from Moscow collection is reunited in it's entirety where it was originally left in trust, that'll be good to know. I've also got half a mind to ask for Dave's money back!

Dean
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Retreat from Moscow

Post by barr7430 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:21 pm

I hope you know the FULL story Dean. The collection will be reunited for posterity. The bits in my care are as they were, unaltered and stored carefully. My offer to Dave still stands. I trust that you know I had no part in the shameful business. I too feel hugely disappointed and let down by this cold piece of work. Reputations for good or ill tend to stick and the legacy of this will I suspect linger on.

Cheers to you and nice to see Paul's name written once again. He will never be forgotten by me. It would be nice to see you and maybe at Partizan we could run the Retreat from Moscow together thus squaring the circle and repairing what has been broken.

If you want to mail me
[email protected]

Best

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm

It's an extremely sad story, it's a bit like lending your favourite army to a mate and he then decides to sell them on Ebay and justifies it by saying he'll 'donate' a fraction of the sales price to charity. For a start it wasn't his to sell in the first place and secondly can we now trust that person to even donate the money? At least this part of the collection has been saved and like Barry I would like to see it in action again at Partizan.
Cheers
Dave
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Nice sentiments guys, thanks.

Barry,

I'm sure i don't know the full story. As i said, it's the first i knew of it on Saturday at Derby when i physically saw the stuff in front of me. A nice surprise, followed by a nasty shock! And i only got a little bit of the story from Dave.

I do know however that you felt the same as i did. So i am angry, but not at you.

I like the sound of getting the collection displayed again. I guess in some ways, that's what i hoped originally. And with the recent releases from Perry, quite topical.

I will email you Barry and we can have a chat.

Dean
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Gifts of a similar nature were exchanged between us over several Christmases. I returned everything given to me at the end. I got nothing back and know that ALL the units I painted as gifts were sold because I saw them in somebody's collection on a table at CRISIS in Antwerp last year! I felt very much as you Dean. 30 pieces of silver.

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:55 pm

In fact, I am going to Antwerp again in a week... maybe my boys will be there again and I can visit them in their new home. Would be funny if not so disconcerting :(

Henry Ford