Historicon 2010

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 am

I finally got to play in one of the R2E games and it was a total blast! Lots of fun, great people and having Clarence & Barry run the game made it all that much more enjoyable. Naturally all the figures and terrain looked fantastic which added to the game that much more.

For the rules, being my first time to play them, I found them very easy to pick up. The big hang up with my group has been attempting to understand the MP section and I can say now that having played a game I see how easy it is. This is fantastic as I've got a boat load of French Revolutionary French & Austrians from Elite Miniatures that's been waiting for a good rule set.

In the game I attended the French (my side) attacked the Brits on the first turn using the FIBUA section. It worked out great. A very simple and elegant solution to this vexing problem in most rule sets.

Many thanks to Barry & Clarence for all their hard work.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:25 am

Here are a couple of pics from the action...

BATTLE OF ALMAREZ

BATTLE OF THE BOYNE

Again, I had a fantastic time and I plan to write more about the trip on my blog when I get the chance to sit down and write a proper post.
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:46 am

I put up a blog post, just a quickie:
http://tyler.provick.ca/?p=1014
The juicy bits I'll just share here:

Mr. Clarence Harrison
Mr. Barry Hilton
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:18 am

:lol: Thanks for that, Tyler!

It was good to meet you and I'm really glad you enjoyed the game.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:36 am

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for posting the photo's of Clarance and Barry, always good to put a face to the name there Clarance and Barry spreading the word or is that his
Harry Potter pose, wand in hand....sorry tape in hand and about to cast some mystic spell. :wink:

Cheers.......Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:13 am

Great looking games guys!
I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and reading more reports on the convention.

Cheers
Dave
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:14 am

Barry,

At least the goatee has gone! No point in frightening off the punters.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks Dumbledore and Hagrid..

the BLB2 game shot is something quite unique actually..

The Grenadiers emerged from the river and needed to spend a turn forming. The Irish Guards marched down in column and needed to spend a turn forming too. They did this at 3 inches range in front of each other during the same turn.. just like it must have happened frequently during that period.. Never seen that before! then..

King 'Hermann of Brooklyn' decided to charge with the Guards. The Shaken grenadiers stood. They fired, (-4 ..- powder check.. no don't panic it is NOT a new modifier but a scenario specific mechanic! :wink: ) the Guards came on... they both fought, and lost, and won and lost, got reinforced and drew and won and lost and drew and won and drew but always passed their tests.. until both the principle units fought to the last man! Fantastic... cheering from King Billy, Cheering from King Hermann... groans of 'Oh my poor Guards' from Chris Scott the observer and Histrorian (quoting King Bill)... loved it !and Clarence captured it for posterity.

Nice shots !
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:21 pm

I hope Clarence hasn't picked up your 'weggie' accent or funny west coast phrases?

I also noticed on Clarences blog that he enjoyed meeting Angus, surely a misprint??? :twisted:

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:32 pm

The bold one had his knives out again during his talk my spies tell me.. oh dear :roll:

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:02 pm

obriendavid wrote:I hope Clarence hasn't picked up your 'weggie' accent or funny west coast phrases?

Cheers
Dave
Mainly words like 'wanker' and 'scroat' which I am now trying to work into daily conversation. My wife thinks I picked up a bit of an accent as well, but I'm sure with rest that will heal...

EVERYONE I meet and had a chance to chat with was very charming, though I gained more insight into what goes on behind the scenes in this hobby in four days than I might have in four years otherwise! For instance, to have a chance to win an award for your products at Historicon, you have to nominate yourself (I suppose anyone could do it, but the nomination needs to be followed with product samples and I'm not sure even our fans would want to mail off their books).
flick40
Major General
Major General

more from the show

Post by flick40 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Heres a couple more shots form the action at Historicon. Great time had by all and wonderful to meet Barry and Clarence as well. Funny thing about Barrys accent, people didn't recognize it as Scottish and were asking him if he were from other places.

This is a shot from the first game of RtE from the French side across the artillery park. A ford was discovered across the river and a Brigade is marching to cross. The game ended before this could be exploited as the action at the bridge was too much for the French.

This was taken after the Irish Guards and 2 Grenadier battalions fought to the death. The Dutch Garde formed itself across the Boyne and though shaken stopped dead a charge by the Irish Life Guards.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:32 pm

quindia wrote:
obriendavid wrote:I hope Clarence hasn't picked up your 'weggie' accent or funny west coast phrases?

Cheers
Dave
Mainly words like 'wanker' and 'scroat' which I am now trying to work into daily conversation.
So he's been talking about me again? :wink: or perhaps it was Angus?

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm

You are 50% right with that ANSWER :wink:

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army