Historicon 2010

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:33 am

Aha, I think I'm the first with my pictures. Clarence and Barry, I'll be processing the second day's pictures tomorrow evening. When I'm done I'll zip them and get you a link. They'll be full resolution jpegs, unlike the smaller versions on my website. We'll talk about copyrights later if you decide that there are any you'd like to use for anything. I would love to see that happen.

http://tyler.provick.ca/?p=1016
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:32 am

Nice pictures and a nice report Tyler. I'm very interested to hear of the goings on in America. Thanks.

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:32 am

Nice report Tyler and I liked the photos but was a bit surprised to find 'Americans' defending the village for the allies. If they were going to fight anyone it would have been the Brits.

I liked the little character figure of Mr Hilton, we've often said he was a donkey and not because of size. :lol:

Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:44 am

Dave, the 60th WAS defending the village for the allies. They got caught in a rear guard action and took shelter in a village in the middle of the French deployment zone! A handful of the riflemen actually held off two battalions for a couple of turns and it took a fresh battalion thrown into the fray to shift them.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks Clarence that makes sense now.
I really like your characterisation of Hilton as a donkey, I didn't realsie you knew him that well :twisted:

Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

Actually, that was Tyler's invention... I was calling the priest Father O'Shea and the donkey Nosey, but I don't think that came out in the game. The good priest was an Irish Patriot and a spy for the French - the reason the French found the ford so quickly...
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:43 am

I prefer Tyler's version! :lol:

I like the idea of individual characters taking part in the game.
I tried to use the idea in a large Dark Age mini campaign a couple of years ago where I had a number of characters which I as umpire moved around the table all of which could supply info to anyone that asked, unfortunately only one player out of the 12 playing actually stopped a figure and asked them anything. I like all these little touches and special events in my games just to give the players something else to think about and hopefully make the game more interesting.

Cheers
Dave
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:11 pm

The same was done during the games. The next day it took a long while for the French to notice the British sergeant tagging along with their CinC
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:06 pm

You'll be glad you didn't win a prize for R2E, just check out all the bickering going on at TMP regarding Lasalle winning.
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=203221

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:24 pm

ouch!

saw it :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Ok, now do we throw fuel on the fire or just stay out of it?

Sam says...

For the record:

1) The nominees are notified – they don't put themselves forward.

2) There's no "campaign" to persuade anybody to vote for you.

3) There are no "judges" to bribe, and the idea that somebody would bribe vote-counters is just too absurd for the realm of sanity.

4) There is no guild, organization, conspiracy, or cabal. Just people voting at a convention.

Number one is clearly wrong as I talked to one of the ladies on the award committee. She was looking at the R2E book, asked when it was published, and seemed surprised it hadn't been among the nominees. She gave me the e-mail address so I could submit any other products we had coming out this year for consideration in 2011.

On the Historicon website, it clearly states that 2-5 product samples must follow the e-mail submission within two weeks. Now considering all of the b - i - itching people on TMP did about the cost of LaSalle/RtE/BP, Sam must have better fans than we do for someone else to have bought THREE books (presumably one for themselves and two to give away)...

Basically, R2E wasn't even nominated because WE didn't enter it. LaSalle still might have won in the USA, although I don't agree with people BP was snubbed because it was a UK product... the new Warhammer Fantasy book came out this week and I'm willing to bet it sold more copies than LaSalle, RtE, and BP together...

Anyway, Sam says he didn't nominate himself for any of the awards given out this year, but it is hard to believe people keep sending in copies of books they bought...
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:45 pm

I don't think they need our help to stoke the fires they seem to have a good blaze going themselves.

I would have thought BP were ignored because their crap not because their from the UK.

Cheers
Dave
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 am

I think Sam says he did submit books after he was nominated.

from the TMP forum:
I have been nominated three times (2003, 2006, and 2010), and never submitted any sort of sample or application, until after being notified of my nomination.
I don't think it's unreasonable for him to have provided samples for judging after being nominated. I think it's said best when Sam says that it's essentially a small statue and peer recognition. Some people are treating it like he won the Victoria Cross.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:07 am

It is a world best left unexplored by us I think. I believe Clarence and I did enough at Historicon to get on the radar of such 'nomination' situations for the future for whatever that is worth.
I personally am not involved in the hobby to win 'gongs' my mission is much more evangelical :wink: (as you now realise Tyler :lol: )

CH and I will continue ploughing our little furrow and attempting to rebutt accusations of complexity from the many headed, combined with weadling out the sniping from 5th columnists within the body of the Kirk :wink:

Enough enigma there to keep everyone going for a while :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:37 pm

When you read all thatdrivel on tmp it makes you glad that our setup in the uk has no equivalant bodies like hgms etc. althoug there are a few wannabees .

iain