Photies

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Photies

Post by Liam A of E » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi there, apologies if this has been covered before - does anyone have any tips for photoing minis? I have a reasonable digital and a wee tripod and, err, thats it.

They would be 28s.

Cheers
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:16 pm

I am no expert Liam but here is a wee checklist which if you follow it will help you get better photos:

1. Always use the tripod
2. Get yourself a shutter release cable (About £15 from Jessops) and always use it.
3. DO NOT USE FLASH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
4. Learn how to use your camera settings - avoid AUTO
- Put it on manual and play around with the APERTURE (A).. basically how small is the opening of your lens.. the smaller generally the better depth of field.
The correlation between APERTURE size and EXPOSURE TIME(how long the lens remains open when you click) will govern DEPTH OF FIELD(how much will be in focus when you shoot). This is vital in miniatures photography because they is always a desire for a long 'depth of field'.
5. Understand the WHITE BALANCE function on your camera but nowadays most PHOTOSHOP type software allows you to alter even poorly lit shots. Rule should be: Get the best 'raw' shot possible first.
6. Use natural light when possible, otherwise.. use 'even' light sources.
7. Be careful of your background - even when the object in the foreground is well shot sometimes something crappy is lying around behind.. very depressing :cry:
8. For every good shot that your are happy with you'll have 10 crappy shots.. get used to it.
9. Think about the shot carefully before you take it.. watch for uneven bases, turned over terrain, casualty markers ,dice etc etc... altohugh much can be airbrushed out afterwards.
10. Be Fussy!!

GOOD LUCK..let's see some of the re :D sults
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:07 am

Barry - Wow, thats brill, and thats my weekend sorted! Better get all those pointless piccies of weddings and nonsense off my camera to make way for some useful stuff!

Cheers
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....