The Heart and The Rose

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Heart and The Rose

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Stuart, it was good to meet up with you again at Partizan and thanks for the tip off about the 16th century Scots book. I've only had a chance to flick through it and the other toys I bought as I'm still doing the Grand Tour of Scotland with our American friends but it looks very interesting and is a battle I knew nothing about. The illustration you mentioned of the castel under siege is Tantallon castle and is just about a mile away from my house. It still has siege earthworks outside of it but these are reputed to be from the 1650 siege when General Monck trashed the joint but I must have another look perhaps some of them belong to the 1528 siege.

Cheers
Dave
Michael

Post by Michael » Wed May 28, 2008 12:13 am

Ah, the fabulous Tantallon Castle... Almost certainly, all the extensive earthworks date from the siege of 1651.

http://www.tantalloncastle.com/index.php?pageId=History
"Being shot at focuses the mind wonderfully."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 am

Hi Michael, sorry for not replying to your previous messages but this is the first time in over a week that I've managed to get on the computer while the guests are in bed. I would have missed you at the Sea Bird Centre on the Monday as we were picking up the tourists.

Cheers
Dave
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Thanks Dave, yep it was sure interesting seeing Barry's reaction on the day to those that asked about the depth of the Boyne :twisted:

It was great having a chat with Aly as well, I had't realised he was obtainning Duncan's F/P collection off him. It would be great if one day we could all get together for a F/P bash or similar. I think I'm going to order some of those Helion Prussians and paint them up staright away so as to make my mind up after revisting the "Waterloo to Mons" blog/site.

And yes, I started to look at my unpainted pile of 1500's stuff after I got back after discussing that book, but soon saw sense :?

Looking forward to Aly's 1848 Austrian conversion appearing somewhere, but a bit nervous as to what he's going to challenge me back with :cry:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu May 29, 2008 6:39 am

[quote="parkinspieces"] It was great having a chat with Aly as well, I had't realised he was obtainning Duncan's F/P collection off him. It would be great if one day we could all get together for a F/P bash or similar.
Iquote]

Stuart, Dave Imrie has also suggested this a few weeks ago and Aly has also mentioned this in the past so we might do something next year. If we come up with something definite I'll let you know. I also forgot to mention that I had won a lovley little book on ebay 'The Diary of One of Garibaldi's Thousand' by Ciuseppe Cesare Abba which is his personal account of the Sicily campaign.

Cheers
Dave
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Thu May 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Count me in for a big FPW bash!
David