Seven Years War Rules -Help needed please

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Anonymous

Seven Years War Rules -Help needed please

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:32 am

Gents,

Hope that this post finds all gamers well and in a helpful mood.

I have long been searching for an ideal set of rules to play the SYW and am wondering what other "Fighting Talk" Lace Wars afficionados are using.

Is ULB suitable with some modifications Barry? I must admit we are busy re-basing/painting our Marlburians and getting ready for our first battle with them here at the club within the next month?

Any help, suggestions and advise welcomed.

Cheers

Carlo
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:27 pm

I know there are several SYW gamers use the site. I am uncertain of what rules they use as I myself have never collected SYW figures. I did play several games with David Shuttleworth(Jutland on the Forum), Alasdair Jamison and Steve Ayers in this period. I think they used Keonig Krieg. I have also played Age of Reason but thought the single rank units looked a bit funny.

Perhaps if you sent JUTLAND an e mail or PM he might tell you.

I think ULB could be used but several amendments would be necessary. Some things that come to mind as possibles are:

Class ALL Prussian troops as Veteran or better.
Ensure Prussian generals are classed as Average or better always.
Ensure that Prussians never have less than 50% movement per turn.
Perhaps consider faster manoeuvre rates/slightly better combat and morale rating for them in the fashion of the switch in cavalry combat advantage between NYW and SSW.
Maybe allow guns to fire as batteries?

I had some very interesting discussions over the weekend with the League of Gentlemen Wargamers about working a core generic set of mechanisms across the whole horse and musket period with `period specific modules' to create the nuance of evolving tactics, weapons, organisation etc.

I have already applied this logic to Republic to Empire which takes some of the core ideas from ULB and bolts on many Napoleonic specific features.

I have had largely very favourable response to the mechanics and `feel' from the Napoleonic Nuts in the LGW and I take this as a strong endorsement.

The short answer is: I think you can adapt. Wanna try and let us know???? :wink:

All the best and good gaming

Barry
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Rules

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:56 pm

KING OF THE BATTLEFIELD:Ian goodwin18th Century Wargame Rules Lets you fight an 18th century battle in an 2-4 hours, quick play/simple, has the period feel, good review by SYW association, all the important rules on 2 pages. 1 vol, 30 pgs 2002 UK, IAN GODWIN

I played these at Historicon a couple of times. SYW is not ecactky my period but the games went very well and it was FUN :D
Anonymous

SYW Rules

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:45 pm

Barry: I would love to see a SYW version of ULB. With regard to Age of Reason, I have used these in the past and generally liked them except for a couple of items that could readily be changed. I don't care for the single rank basing, but there is no reason why one cannot double the size of the units and base them too ranks deep. This looks much better :D

I am currently using my own "home grown" rules for the SYW that emphasizes playability over complexity :roll: but still manages to retain the difficulty of maneuvering long lines of infantry around the field.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:48 pm

Wargames Foundry has a free set that might be worth a look:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/pdf/Seve ... _Rules.pdf

I've played some small games with the rules and they were a lot of fun. The set plays quickly and seems to capture the feel of the period pretty well.