Barry's Article in Battlegames

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Barry's Article in Battlegames

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:31 am

IN Barry's recent article in Battlegames 14, he mentioned problems with warped bases, even the 3mm pre-cut ones.

I've not used this style of basing yet, and most of my basing in the past has been 15mm on beer mats, using Tetrion (ready-mixed), with four foot or two horse to a base (so fairly small area). However, I've heard/read one or two people claim that priming and painting these pre-cut MDF bases all over (not just the top and sides) prior to putting the figures on them, takes away this problem.

Any thoughts anyone?
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by subedai » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Years ago, I found that the main cause of warping was the ready-mixed Tetrion because there is so much liquid in it.

For anything smaller than 15mm I paint on wood glue straight form the bottle and then dip the bases in sand. For 15 and 25mm I would recommend the tubes of ready mixed filler obtainable from the local £1 shop. This seems to have cured any warping problems and is still adhesive enough for sand to stick to it when the base is covered. Plus the fact, the drying time is much quicker due to less liquid.