Problems with GMB flags

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Problems with GMB flags

Post by barr7430 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Don't know if anyone can help me with this but so far I have had three attempts to fit GMB flags and each time have come up against the same problem which is really annoying.
Step 1: secure flag to the pole using PVA glue to stick the two halves together- flat -OK
Step 2: try and shape flag gently by bending is into folds AAARGH!!!
Every time I have tried this, crinkles, creases and ripples have appeared which are particularly unsightly. They cannot be painted over.
I have tried wetting the flag and also 'dampening' the flag with a sponge but the same result was achieved with both these methods.
I have also noticed that the print lifts off the paper very easily almost in the form of a scratch card!

I heard someone say that sometimes the flags were printed on differetn quality paper but I have no idea if this is true.

Not being a paper flag man myself this is really my first venture into commercially purchased products and for something with appears to have the awesome reputation that GMB have.. I am pretty disappointed :x

Any suggestions??
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Barry
Here's how I do it.

1. Apply a liberal coat of PVA glue to one side of the flag.
2. Fold the flag over and make sure the edges are square. But leave a gap at the staff end of the flag.
3. Bow the flag slightly, by that I mean push the staff and fly ends at the same time to create a space (a bit like an aircraft wing).
4. Now slip the flag over the top of the flag pole (using that cunningly shaped gap you have left) and gently squeeze the flag together. I use a pair of tweezers along the flag staff to get a good fit.
5. Leave it for a couple of minutes until the glue starts to set but before it dries.
6. Fold the flag around a paint brush handle. First one way and then the opposite to create the movement.
7. Leave the glue to set and voila.

I have found that if you try to fold GMB flags without using the brush handle it creates the most horrendous creases.

Hope that helps. Happy to demonstrate next time you're over.

Pat
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi Barry
Instead of using PVA try using Prit Stick It's what I have always used without any trouble. One cautionary word of advice DON'T put any varnish onto the flag as it kills the colour definition.
Kev
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:10 pm

The reason I prefer PVA is that it can be molded as it dries and then goes solid.
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:25 pm

I'd recommend prit stick as well allows you to put folds in the flag with out creasing,

kutusov
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 pm

Yep, I concur with Kevin.

I always use a Pritt stick and have had no problems.

And yes do not apply varnish to the flag or else you will end up with a very muted / spoilt flag.

Although they are great flags you still have to spend a fair bit of time on them including painting the edges otherwise they look like what they are - a piece of paper. Not as beautiful as those linen flags you have produced but a whole lot better than many of the other paper flag ranges out there.

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:55 pm

I gloss then matt varnish my GMB flags - never had a problem, no loss of colour.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Barry, I usually make my own flags on the computer. I don't know anything about the quality of the paper of GMB, but I originally had similar trouble with my first attempts.

Pat's suggestion about folding the flag gently around a paint brush handle will do the trick. You shouldn't get creases if you use something as the base for the folds.
Fire at Will
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fire at Will » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:06 pm

I agree with the paint brush handle approach (or a large paper clip for small flags). I use UHU rather than PVA as I find it flexs better.

Will