BIG NEWS

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:46 am

I think that having seen what an organisation with a business driven approach or a lack of it, has done to our hobby in the past - GW, TSR, Wizards of the Coast, and so on, Martin is justified in being Cassandra.

We all hope it will be positive, but to some extent I'm sure we are all cautious to some degree, cynics that we are.

Then again, we have it in our hands to do something about this if we think that our worst fears are coming to pass, even the **gasps on shock** cancelled subscription.

The way I keep my Son Patrick away from the darkside is to buy him White Dwarf regularly - his first flush of excitement gives way to a kind of despair when he sees all the stuff he has to do etc. Then I say "Never mind son, paint some Stugs, you'll feel better". Works every time.

So for the moment I'm optimistic that someone with some business nous is in charge to whip all you lazy contributors into shape :lol: and I will keep my lookenpeepers open for amoeba like takepvers.

Then again, if FOW started 15mil Napoleonics like the rumours have it, I wont give a stuff if they turn it into an in house mag. ( Any gen on that particular rumour, Barry?)

See, fickle as well as cynical. Maybe I should apply for the Opinions page!
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 am

I have no direct line into BF Liam! :cry:
I am but one of the many-headed. :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rank Bajin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rank Bajin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:38 pm

Gents,

been out of it with work for a while so came on this rather late.

I thought it was an interesting development and agree with many of the points here. I'm old enough to remember the change that happened to GW first in their stores then in White Dwarf. I was equally cynical at the time.

However, I think the Battlefront guys have taken all that is good with the GW business model and have got a great product. However, they are very much focused on the gaming aspect and I think they appreciate their demographic a lot better.

To me WI is always a bit hit and miss. However, what separated it from Miniature wargames was that the production values and the general level of the painted figures was so much better. I tend to buy it when it catches my eye. Often there is only one thing in it that I like but there is always some inspiration.

Perhaps with battlefront putting some muscle behind it we will see more pages and perhaps a broadening of its format. For one, I'd like to see more battle reports similar to the ones that Barry has posted here with his R2E system. Good photos of great games with a narrative always inspires me! Often it also gives you a feel for how a system may work and actually get you interested in a set of rules (I guess thats why you don't see that much on DBA :D )

Roy
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:45 pm

As I feared, there does seem to be a dramatic change already in the magazine. :shock: we will see where this " yellow brick road" ends :?:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1101

M
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:51 am

Martin,
thats a joke cover. Might be the format they will use but all of the FOW content mentioned on it is from the FOW players wish lists.

FOW fans have been going on at battlefront to make early war and Pacific rules for years. Don;t think they will be released as a freebie in WI.

Gazza
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm

I did notice that they said it was a sample cover Gazza, but I wonder what the future issues will be like :) I don't think it will be far off the format shown. :wink:
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:59 am

HI,
heres the update in WI.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1104

Gazza
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Yep sounds ok with a few fow added in, seems an improvement on past issues, just need to wait and see :?:
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:37 pm

With the relaunch scheduled for 21st of may does this mean there will be no new issues till then or are they coming out in the old format

iain
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 am

Well, got my WI this morning. What does it say about the big re-launch on 21st May? An extra sixteen pages Flames of War content. Admittedly they say they are adding another 16 pages of historical content. No doubt to act as an opiate to the masses.

Is Martin right? Time will tell.
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:14 pm

Got the press release with their new advertising rates and re-launch info today - complete with new jazzy masthead (trademark registered - to boot).

The mag will be quite a weighty tone and 'perfect' bound from the relaunch issue (like White Dwarf is)
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:38 pm

All this and free plastic figures too?

As long as they get the distribution right. My last month's subscription copy didn't arrrive at all so it was off to WH Smith. Hopefully the latest copy is through my letterbox today.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Barry,

Did you say your Quebec 1690 article would appear in May's WI or the "re-launch" June issue??

I can see why it didn't appear in May's as not 20th century enough :twisted:

I couldn't see if would be in June's issue on the advert for the re-launch :roll:

Stuart
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:44 am

I sent the copy and photos to Dan on April 1 (oops maybe it was all a big joke from WI :lol: ). It is quite a big piece about 5,000 words with three maps and a few photographs.. maybe I got it wrong maybe it's in the June issue... I don't know I only write the stuff! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:29 pm

got the new issue on thursday and had i been able to see the content before I purchased it I would not have got it ,ww2 is not a period which really interests me,i just hope that this is clearing off articles which are arcived and they do not go down the route of having themed issues apart from the fow content which i can choose to read or otherwise.

iain