What did Santa bring?

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
quindia
General
General

What did Santa bring?

Post by quindia » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Any gifts related to the hobby? Under my tree is a 36-model French Battalion from Foundry, a copy of Marengo & Hohenlinden by James Arnold, and a huge case of Vallejo model colours... :D
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:05 am

Some 28mm scale buildings from Conflix, and Litko custom order/status markers.
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:47 am

Wings of war and some GW Harradrim
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:58 am

Let me break the chain by saying that Santa brought my my old
Gordon Smith Gypsy II, completely resprayed and re set up after 18 years in a flight case in my loft. When I finally gave up the rock n' roll road 23 years ago my old buddy was put to bed never to come out again..

my wife sent it secretly to the guitar 'Doctor Love' Mr Jimmy Moon of Shawlands, Glasgow and this morning to my total surprise my axe appeared in the living room.. needles to say the 00 brush has been shelved today so that I can revisit my mispent youth.... what an axe 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:03 pm

A "Gloster Gladiator" :D for a forthcoming "League of Gentlemen Wargamers" event -and a new ruleset called "Republic to Empire" :lol:
I'd better read them now :!: :!:
Best wishes to all

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:53 pm

Just look at the pictures Bob... much less controversial!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:14 pm

barr7430 wrote:Just look at the pictures Bob... much less controversial!!
:D
Laugh, chortle, wheeze, fall about :lol:

Don't let them get to you Barry, have a well earned Christmas break
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Gentlemen,

A GamesWorkshop Fortified Manor set along with a Forest set and extra fences. Now, before you fall about laughing, if you take a sharp knife and remove the assorted skeletons, skulls and Warhamer motifs, the scenery actually fits in very well with any period from the Thirty Years War up to Napoleonic and I will certainly be using it for the wars of Louis XIV. I will include some in my next battalion shot for the thread on my French army.

I am not really into GW but their scenery is very good quality and value for money. I also like their paints even if they are a bit on the expensive side.

Jim

:roll: Santa baby, slip a soldier under the tree... for me. :roll:
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:26 pm

I use the GW stuff too. Of course I still collect their sci-fi armies so it's not quite as out of character for me. The wall sets are extremely nice after you get rid of the fantasy details which is only the work of a few minutes per section.

I have one of the modular game board sets that I intend to finish to match the rest of my terrain after I get rid of the skull pits, etc. These are expensive, but with the rumors of river tiles coming out in 2010, I can actually see myself replacing all of my terrain boards with the GW tiles. The whole set of six weighs less than one of my MDF boards and are just as sturdy.

Chin up, Jim! If they made Spanish style buildings I would have purchased them as soon as they were out! When the Victrix Austrians come out and see my Napoleonic collection expand north, I will probably pick up some of the Warhammer buildings as well!
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Just some Memoir 44 stuff for myself. At least I got a gift card to the local book store to try to find some historical hardback.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:08 am

quindia wrote: I have one of the modular game board sets that I intend to finish to match the rest of my terrain after I get rid of the skull pits, etc. These are expensive, but with the rumors of river tiles coming out in 2010, I can actually see myself replacing all of my terrain boards with the GW tiles. The whole set of six weighs less than one of my MDF boards and are just as sturdy.
Clarence,

I have one too and what I did was cover the skulls with sand using superglue. Those bits now serve as rough terrain. The whole board is flocked and I think it is worth the price as it will last. The GW fences set at £12 is great value for about five feet of well made sturdy walls that fit right into the period. The trees look like bonsai (or Banzai! as my eight-year-old says) and again, these are very sturdy.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Eugenio von Savoy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Eugenio von Savoy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 am

Hi all,

Santa brought several reference books on WW1 including
Battle tactics of the Western Front - Griffith;
T E Lawrence - Unravelling the enigna - Norman;
The affair at Nery 1 September 1914 - Takle

He also brought much lead in the form of my contribution to the latest group project August 1914 - a load of 28mm Renegade British.

They are fantastic figures and their special deal at the moment makes them about 45 pence each. How cool is that. Gold prices soaring and lead prices falling.

He also provided me with enough quiet time over the last few days to make 36 new cloth flags for my 25mm Grand Alliance armies.

Seasons greetings with a Happy and peaceful New Year to all in the forum.

Regards,
Tim
"Like a stone wall" Wargames Group
Nottinghamshire
UK
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill,
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Greetings all,

Received a few books on the Eben Emael operation, "The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy" and a respite from buying gifts for others which enabled me to finally purchase my copy of Republic to Empire from here. :D

Looking forward to that showing up on my doorstep sooner or later.

Cheers,

Bart
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:40 am

Not much really, I did get a book voucher and a itunes voucher. No wargaming stuff :(
Wayne
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Wayne A Turner wrote:Not much really, I did get a book voucher and a itunes voucher. No wargaming stuff :(
Wayne,

Download the 1812 Overture - always good for a bit of background atmosphere for Napoleonics.

Happy New Year,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.