Historicon 2010

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
quindia
General
General

Historicon 2010

Post by quindia » Mon May 17, 2010 11:51 pm

The event list for Historicon 2010 has been up for a couple of days. Barry and I will be running six games over the course of the convention, three for each of our books:

The Battle of Almaraz
- Spain, 6 Aug 1809
Thursday 4PM, Friday 8 PM, and Saturday 9AM (each game is scheduled for 3 hours and 8 players)
GM: Clarence Harrison with Barry Hilton
Sponsor: League of Augsburg and Quindia Studios
Napoleonic 28mm, Rules: Republic to Empire
After the battle of Talavera, the British were victorious but forced to retreat all the same as French reinforcements arrived. The British formed a new defensive position behind the river Tagus. All of the crossings were well defended, but that might not have been the case if Marshal Soult had been more decisive....

The Battle of the Boyne - Ireland, 1 July 1690 - Theme Game
Friday 10 AM, Saturday 2PM, and Sunday 9AM (each game scheduled for 3 hours and 8 players).
GM: Clarence Harrison with Barry Hilton
Sponsor: League of Augsburg and Quindia Studios
Pike and Shot 28mm, Rules: Beneath the Lily Banners
Two armies consisting of Danish, French, Dutch, Huguenot, German, English and even Irish troops met on the banks of the River Boyne near Drogheda. Both were led by men insisting that they alone were the rightful King of England…

I find it funny they've been listed as "GM: Clarence Harrison with Barry Hilton". More like "GM: Clarence Harrison watching Barry Hilton." Well, at least with Beneath the Lily Banners. I filled out the registration so I guess I got top billing. Anyway, you can grab spots in one (or more) of these games if you preregister. In the event that all the games fill up (and I honestly have no idea what kind of interest they will generate), you're welcome to come by anyway - if it's at all possible, we'll find something for you to command as long as there's room at the table!

You see all of the events at http://www.historicon.org/HIST2010/pel.asp
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:31 am

I would be signed up for these events if the admin would activate my account on their website. I have a message into them so hopefully this will be rectified soon.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:59 am

Clarence,

top billing is your privilege... I defer to you sir.

I'll sling the appropriate number of curved ball questions your way too :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:38 pm

OK... FINALLY...... PACKED!

I can only hope that BA and the baggage handlers of Glasgow, Heathrow and Philadelphia understand what fragile means :shock:

I took a long time to get it into some kind of transportable form but a full table's worth of Grand Alliance figures plus some Napoleonic French will be going on campaign to Valley Forge and I hope some of the former will not be making the return journey with me!

It will be a busy few days for CH and I with 4 x 3 hour games, 3 different talks for me to give plus sitting on the Pike and shot panel on Friday or Saturday evening plus an article to write for WI... Oh and the show, the trade, the books, the toys, 8)...

Your correspondent will report in due course....

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Barry, there are actually SIX three hour games... one Thursday, two Friday, two Saturday, and one on Sunday!

Exactly how many French did you pack so I can add them to the rosters?
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Clarence,

Just make sure he comes back with his Scottish accent intact.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:05 pm

I'm hoping maybe I'll have a Scottish accent by the time he leaves...
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:32 pm

quindia wrote:I'm hoping maybe I'll have a Scottish accent by the time he leaves...
:lol:
Actually you could be right there, the man can talk.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Can teach you to cuss in Jockanese, Clarence... we are VERY good at that hear... the best on the planet I would wager... 8)

Packed..

1 x 4 model battery of 6 pdrs plus all the nonsense that sits behind
1 24 model bn of Line
3 Brigadier type models (1 suitable for Cavalry)

Henry Ford
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:41 am

Have a great time Barry and Clarence!

Nic Robson left Oz on Sunday and will no doubt say "Hello" at some point.

We were checking out the convention centre / hotel complex at Valley Forge on Google Earth before he left and it looked strangely reminiscent of the HQ building from Stingray. You know the one - "Anything can happen in the next half hour!" and the whole place suddenly disappears into the ground! :)
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:19 am

Quick update, gents. Things are going great so far at Historicon. Barry and I have a prime table location at the front of the hall - you basically have to walk by to get into the rest of the gaming area. The first R2E game seems to have been a success. All of the players really enjoyed themselves and there was a cordon of spectators around the table for the whole game. Barry is, of course, great at running the rules and people seem to have caught on to the Maneouver Point system within a couple of turns and the rest of the mechanics were learned even quicker. We got through six or seven turns in 3.5hrs with nine players new to the game... oh, yeah, the Anglo/Spanish achieved a victory, but there was one point where it was a close thing.

Anyway, I'll post another note if I get the chance. Barry, being technically challenged, has not been able to get online from his room. I promised to take a look at it tomorrow if we get the time...
msk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by msk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:47 pm

That's great news Clarence.

I've formed the view that MPs are the critical factor in getting to grips with R2E. Once you've understood and bought into them, everything else just slips into place.
Martin Kelly
Befreiungskriege 1813-14
http://befreiungskriege.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Finally getting a chance to post ... Historicon is over and Clarence and I had an absolute blast!

We have run 6 x 3.5 hour games Thursday through Sunday morning. 3 each for R2E and BLB2. We have accommodated roughly 60 gamers (although several really nice people came back time and time again). We even got to the stage where some of our Forum members were helping Gamemaster the tables.. thanks very much to Hugh, Joe, Gavin, Darek and of course Tyler for that! :wink:

We are in the very pleasing position of having been awarded two trophies..

PELA GAMEMASTER AWARD 2010 and
HISTORICON THEMED EVENT 2010

I managed to squeeze in the 3 x 1 hour lectures and everyone who attended and wanted to get a copy of the talks/slide show will receive them when I am in a position to do so.

The response to both rule sets was, to use the local vernacular.. awesome :lol:
My hope is that the negative crap on TMP is balanced by the views of some Historicon attendees who have now actually played the game and can understand the mechanics and flow.
We can boast a few converts including several Fantasy Gamers who will be crossing over from the dark side 8)

Having shipped two entire Grand Alliance armies over the Atlantic safely plus a box full of Naps all of which survived the risks of Glasgow, Heathrow and Philadelphia airports.. I am happy to report that many of the troops are staying in the US and have found new homes!
That'll make some space for the lead mountain I am transporting back.

There will be a WI article soon about our experiences here and I think, a return visit next year is on the cards...
Having had some time to discuss next projects CH and I have mapped out a fairly ambitious schedule for the next 12 months.

So for now, without sounding like too much of a t*** , this was a truly exceptional wargmaing privilege and one which I cannot remember ever having been bettered for me on a personal level.

Clarence and I got on well too... for a first date :shock:

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Barry,

A sincere "well done" to you and Clarence. I trust we will see Clarence on this side of the Pond sometime in the future for the return match?

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Historicon 2010

Post by Churchill » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Barry & Clarance,

Congratulations to you both on spreading the "Hilton" word with R2E & BLB2.It sounds as if all went well with the games and the interest from over the pond.Did anyone have difficulties understanding your Scottish accent Barry :?:
Well done on the awards too :wink:

Ray.