Wurttemberg Firing Line Miniatures & Flags

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
geordiemikewooly

Post by geordiemikewooly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 am

Hi guys,

First of all I’m new to this forum malarkey stuff and have only just joined up, so hello to all and a Happy New Year!!!

To be honest I’ve been meaning to join up for a wee while after getting plenty of help & ideas from previous postings I’ve viewed. So anyway, here I am, in need of some assistance.

Background wise, regarding myself, although I’ve gamed most periods my love and passion lies with the Napoleonic era. I have a fairly large 25/28mm collection consisting of mainly Foundry, Front Rank, Old Glory, Connoisseur, Perry (well, very shortly I will have) and not forgetting my old Minifigs.
Although I started gaming / collecting about 20 years ago for most of the last 10 years it has very much took a back seat – finishing uni, moving from Geordieland to Aberdeen, working offshore and then meeting the missus and starting a family!!! (Happens to most of us in a similar-ish sort of way).
Anyhow, enough is enough; I’m starting to find the time to get back into my favourite pastime! I just need to find a club in / around Stoney since I only get to game these days when I visit my old club back in Newcastle (which amounts to about half a dozen times a year – not nearly enough).

My first query is regarding Firing Line Miniatures, sold by Bicorne. Does anyone have any of these figures or knows what they are like? Sadly there are no pictures on the website it seems. I have some Old Glory Wurttemberg figures and wondered how they would fit in with these. Also, since they are the only manufacturer that I can find that have some Jäger zu Pferd (mounted light cavalry) I am tempted to go for it.

This brings me to my next query, if I purchased the above cavalry, does anyone know where I could find the relevant flags? Research leads me to believe that they were never issued with the flags until after 1817, but it’s always a nice to have, especially since a standard bearer figure is available. I normally use Flags For The Lads or GMB but neither seems to have these, or indeed any other manufacturer I have come across. Incidentally I’m also after a flag for my 1st KGL Hussars but don’t seem to be able to locate one either.

Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers & kind regards

Mike
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 am

Welcome Mike!

I can't help on the Naps questions but some good friends of mine are based in Stonehaven.. Peter and Andy Nicholson. They play with Kevin Calder under the nom de guerre of the Iron Brigade. I am sure contacting them throgh this Forum would be a useful local connection..

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get some other responses to the Naps query.. can I suggest you 'Duplicate Post in the Naps area too

cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:59 am

Hi,

At first a friendly Hello to You and welcome to the LoA-Forum.

To the question of the colors you may want to look into the following:

http://www.adolforamos.com/BANDERAS.html

or

http://www.flagdude.com/home.do

In both cases I suggest to ask for that special kind of flag.
I am also sure, Jim(Coffindodger) has the adress of Maverick flags at hand which are very likely to be able to provide such a flag too.

Hope this helps

Günter
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Link to Maverick

Welcome Mike. As Günter has said, the above link will take you to Maverick Models and the guy who runs it, Stuart, is a very helpful soul. Just email him and if your flag is not on his site, he will make it for you in any scale you want. You can mention that I pointed you in his direction if you wish. I use "oversized" flags and he has no trouble accommodating me. His prices are very reasonable too.

All the best,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cameronian
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Cameronian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Fit like loon? Nae clubs nearest is in Aberdeen, as you probably already know; anyway:

http://aberdeenwargamesclub.com/

Good luck with the projects.

George
geordiemikewooly

Post by geordiemikewooly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info and general comments, everything is much appreciated!

I had heard of the 'Iron Brigade' but having looked into it I still wasn't sure how to go about locating / contacting someone from the group - at least now I have the means! (Thanks Barry)
I will also try to get along to Aberdeen Wargames sometime in the near future, although with regards to both - I'm currently abroad with work at the mo.

I will certainly look into the info provided for the flags, I think I may have dealt with Maverick Models a few years back but completely forgot about that particular company. I shall have to fire off an email to Stuart. I know most of these light units (Wurttemberg & 1st KGL Hussars) either didn't have the flags issued to them or didn't carry them on campaign, but it does often help the unit stand out more and if they make the standard bearer figure, then why not utilise it!

Ray, superb figures! Back in the Toon I lived in Crawcrook (Near Ryton) for the best part of 15 years before work took me to Aberdeen. Before that (early childhood years) it was Chapel Park. Nowadays my dad lives in Winlaton. The club I gamed with (and still do on occasions when I'm down in Geordieland) is Westerhope Wargames Group. Here is a link:
http://westerhopewargames.blogspot.com/

Once again, cheers!

Mike