What's your technique...

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

What's your technique...

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:22 pm

for painting the trim on tricorns? Been on a BIG army muster for the GNW and now back to paiting up troopers w/tricorns.

I suck at paiting up those nice straight lines/trim...any help/tip would be greatly appreciated!!!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Antioch
Private
Private

Re: What's your technique...

Post by Antioch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:55 pm

While not any painting expert...I used to have the same problem, including a slightly shaking hand.

My 'secret' was to find a number 0/1 brush that had about a 1" bristle on it. I usually lock my hand against something firm & then run the brush down a line like a belt etc... The trick is the brush has a bit more paint & can run a reasonably straight line without having to stop & reload it. Not easy brushes to find (at least in Canada) but it works for me. Principle seems to be the same as used by restoring lines on other things, like a wagon wheel.

I too would be interested in any other techniques from some of the others that paint more then I do.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:00 pm

I use a script brush (3/4"-1" bristles) Then using your lace color preference I just lightly dab/tap the paint on the tops of the rim. Same thing if doing floppy hats. Any major mistakes can be cleaned up with black after.
Last edited by flick40 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:46 am

I don't fiddle about with the POINT of the brush on sharp edges...

Most castings have a thickness to edges that would be much thinner in reality, but this is perfect for catching paint. Use the side of your normal brush and you will end up with much more even lines that if you try painting a tiny stripe!
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 pm

The technique I was using was painting the top of the hat and let a bit of the paint go on the side.

So do you guys hit the top and sides of the hat?

Thanks.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Robartes
Private
Private

Post by Robartes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Redmist1122 wrote:The technique I was using was painting the top of the hat and let a bit of the paint go on the side.

So do you guys hit the top and sides of the hat?

Thanks.
I do just the top, using the technique Clarence (Quindia) mentioned - use the side of the brush. I load the brush fairly heavily so I get a thicker line which spills over a bit on the side as well, the amount of which can be controlled a bit by the angle of the brush wrg to the top of the tricorn - the steeper the angle, the more paint on the side (and less on the top).

The two important things to this 'technique' are using the side of the brush and the consistency of the paint: you want it to run off the brush nicely but still be thick enough to cover 'sideways': just a tad thicker consistency than 'normal' painting.
----
Tiny Tin Men blog
http://www.nirya.be/snv/ttm
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks...will give it a go.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
olddorg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by olddorg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 am

I'm with Clarence on this one. He's described precisely how I do it and very clearly with the illustration. I also use the side of the brush and run it around the rim of the hat from above (I mainly paint informal tricorns so it works well here.)
I don't use a fine brush for this as a slightly larger brush is less fussy and you can do it in one go with a good covering of paint - hope that makes sense!

Olddorg
http://themetalmountain.blogspot.com
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 pm

I would use a heavy drybrush of the lace colour on the hat brim after finishing off any shading work on the base hat . I would also try not to make it look too perfect I find that a 0 with a good point is your best alround brush with smaller ones only being any good for button - lace & the occasional dark lining of straps.

If you dont have a steady hand try bracing your fore arm on the edge of your painting table the "RSI" cushions for computers are good for this.

:evil: Ginger
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:30 am

Ginger,
Just so happen I have a Testors "0" brush, and just finished up a unit w/Tricorns. I used my 0 brush and worked liked a champ! Thanks!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA