Just starting LOA

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Cardinal Biggles

Just starting LOA

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Hello all,

Ive just got interested in this period, bought the BLB2 rules, which are great, and am researching my 1690-ish army ready to order.

the flags and uniform variety is really appealing for this period, but finding info is a lot harder than in some other periods.

Looking at the LOA site there are some cool looking flags there, so I thought Id build some units around them, but I dont know what colour schemes would apply for the uniforms.

I already have the Garde te voet info from the rulebook, but could anyone please help with uniform info for the following Dutch service units:

Regiments Brandenburg, van Graben, Nassau Ottweilar

Mackay's, & Ramsay's I also found in the rulebook, but dont know about Balfour's

As for the cavalry, Id be looking for half a dozen nice looking units from:

Wurttemberg, Ginkel, Athlone
Berlo 1688/Steyn 1690/Hoornbergh 1695 / Schack 1690 / Steinbeck 1688

Btw, did the Dutch have Cuirassier units?

Sorry if this is a complex question, but as a newbie any help or web links would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation,

CB
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Re: Just starting LOA

Post by Gerryjd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Biggles,

Welcome to the forum. :)

You'll find the guys are a really friendly, helpful and knowledgeable bunch here, and somebody will have an answer or know a man that does.

To kick off, I believe that Balfours are red jackets with yellow facings. Not sure about the others, but I'm sure the other guys will pitch in. Should add that the search function on the forum is pretty good.

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Welcome to the Boards....

Mackays - Red faced red
Ramsays Red face white (off white)
Balfours Red faced yellow (very likely white not yellow)

Brandenburg.. off white/light grey faced blue
Van Graben not known but highly likely to be grey/off white with facings of blue or red
Nassau Ottweilar - don't have info but again likely could be grey or off white coat.

Dutch Horse generally did not officially wear cuirasses but what is wrong with a little licence> :wink: You could have the odd unit with cuirass or men wearing cuirass if not the entire unit.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 am

barr7430 wrote:Welcome to the Boards....

Mackays - Red faced red
Ramsays Red face white (off white)
Balfours Red faced yellow (very likely white not yellow)

Brandenburg.. off white/light grey faced blue
Van Graben not known but highly likely to be grey/off white with facings of blue or red
Nassau Ottweilar - don't have info but again likely could be grey or off white coat.

Dutch Horse generally did not officially wear cuirasses but what is wrong with a little licence> :wink: You could have the odd unit with cuirass or men wearing cuirass if not the entire unit.
Thank you barr, that's really helpful. And very colourful.

Just the cavalry to sort out now.......

CB
Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grenadier » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:05 pm

CB,
According to the Hall CD,(if you're at all serious, get them all)

IR 18 Colonels:
Prinz Albrecht(Brandenburg) (1687-1697)

English service 1689-1697

White/grey coats with blue cuffs, waistcoat and breeches. Drummers, sergeants and officers have blue coats with red cuffs, breeches and stockings.

IR 23 Colonels:
Nassau-Saarbrucken(Ottweiler) (1681-1701)

White/grey coats, blue cuffs, stockings, breeches and stockings
Drummers have blue coats with white cuffs and lace, officers have red coats and cuffs.

IR 40 Colonels:
Groben(Graben) (1687-1690)
Auer (1690-1696)

White/grey coats, waistcoat, stockings and breeches, with blue-grey cuffs.
Drummers have blue-grey coats and white cuffs and lace

Brian
Grenadier
"In what space, sir? In what space?"
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi CB,

In ten years time you can look back and pinpoint where the obsession started for you!

Here's my version of Regiment Athlone. Yes they all have cuirasses, no I don't care... :D

My first port of call for uniforms and flags are the Mark Allen series of articles published in Wargames Illustrated. I think back issues or CD collections are available... (I think there is a list of the issues somewhere on this site.)
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:27 am

You can find some of the units you mentioned here... :D
Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Fantastic info here. You chaps are clearly so well genn'ed up Im envious!

Final stages of order being put on today, and then submitted. I can hardly wait to get some stuff on the table. This period is just crying out "28mm".
Bitbag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bitbag » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Cardinal Biggles!!

Welcome - I can't add anything specific about the regiments you're seeking info on, but I can't stress enough how welcoming all the chaps are on here. They're even better in real life as well! :D

I got the LOA bug a few months ago, and find the knowledge and warmth on here simply inspiring, on a regular basis. It's simple to ask a question, and the responses are just incredible!! My LOA stuff is on the slow burner at the minute, due to trying to sell our house, but I'm constantly marvelled by the knowledge and help on here.

I'd echo the comments about the Mark Allen plates - they were my starting point for my French forces. Contact Wargames Illustrated, and see if they have any CDs left - I picked mine up directly from their office in Nottingham, but I'm lucky enough to live near there 8) As for the Hall stuff, again I'd definitely recommend it - I picked up one of the Baccus CDs featuring the French Infantry Volume at the recent Castle Donington show, and it's just a mine of information. Baccus were brilliantly helpful as well!!

Good luck with stuff, and keep us up to date with how things are going!

Andy
http://haveacare.blogspot.co.uk/
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:36 am

With respect to the cuirass for Dutch horse, Robert Hall and Iain Stanford note that it was in use until 1687 after which it gradually fell into disuse(?) before being reintroduced in the early 1700s. My interpretation of this is to have a mix of cuirass and non-cuirass horse regiments with a few regiments having some, but not all riders so equipped. I can't say with 100 percent certainty that this is how it was but it looks good and is probably not far from the reality, particularly in 1689 or 1690; i.e., the earlier the more you'll more you'll find the cuirass with diminishing percentages as the period wears on.

I'd appreciate anybody else's thoughts as this is rank speculation based on a single quote.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:58 pm

conflans wrote:With respect to the cuirass for Dutch horse, Robert Hall and Iain Stanford note that it was in use until 1687 after which it gradually fell into disuse(?) before being reintroduced in the early 1700s. My interpretation of this is to have a mix of cuirass and non-cuirass horse regiments with a few regiments having some, but not all riders so equipped.
Robert Hall and Iain Stainford weren't there in 1687 until 1700 so they can't say for certain what was going on they can only offer advice from some written documentation of what they think was going on.
They're your figures so you can do what you want with them and I think they look rather good.
Cheers
Dave
Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:27 pm

obriendavid wrote:
conflans wrote:With respect to the cuirass for Dutch horse, Robert Hall and Iain Stanford note that it was in use until 1687 after which it gradually fell into disuse(?) before being reintroduced in the early 1700s. My interpretation of this is to have a mix of cuirass and non-cuirass horse regiments with a few regiments having some, but not all riders so equipped.
Robert Hall and Iain Stainford weren't there in 1687 until 1700 so they can't say for certain what was going on they can only offer advice from some written documentation of what they think was going on.
They're your figures so you can do what you want with them and I think they look rather good.
Cheers
Dave
Yes I agree, Ive ordered a unit in cuirasses which I will spread across two units in a 60:40 ratio. So if I need them to count as cuirass, then I have a mainly cuirassed unit which will be used as Cuirassier. Conversely,, there are plain coats there if Im using them as conventional cavalry.

Im starting with the infantry first - thanks for the uniform info gentlemen, - then I'll do the cavalry when I have a bit more research done into the uniforms.
conflans
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by conflans » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Dave;

I like your post. Good advice, right to the point and very pragmatic.

Cheers,

Conflans
Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Sincere thanks for all of these replies. Very very helpful. My army (1st army????!!!! :lol: ) arrived last week and still has the drool marks on it from when I opened it. What a fantastic period. That's my christmas holiday painting sorted out!

"My first port of call for uniforms and flags are the Mark Allen series of articles published in Wargames Illustrated. I think back issues or CD collections are available... (I think there is a list of the issues somewhere on this site.)"

That's an excellent idea, thanks. Especially as now Ive just bought my army i wont be able to afford the Baccus ROMs anytime soon.

Does anyone know which WI have the Dutch units in please?

Many thanks again for your fantastic responses to this thread.

Biggles!
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:29 am

Hi,

This is the full list of Grand Alliance era Mark Allen articles taken from a previous post on this forum:

The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.1 No.27 P16
The War of the Grand Alliance 1688-1697 Pt.2 No.32 P14
The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.3 No.36 P40
The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.4 No.41 P16
The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.5 No.49 P14
The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.6 No.51 P15
The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.7 No.52 P14
The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.8 (The Irish) No.54 P38
The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.9 No.59 P14
The War of the Grand Alliance Pt.10 No, 61 P14
Infantry of the War of the Spanish Succession Pt.1 No.62 P14
French Infantry Regiments of the War of the Spanish Succession Pt.2 No.64 P37