Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Post Reply
Darkman
Major
Major
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 am
Location: Gloucester UK

Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by Darkman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi All

Reading the article about Little wars that Aly Morrison did at Partizan in WI last month and was interested in what changes he made so that he didn't use match firing guns. Not that I have anything against the guns but thought it might make for an easier intro game for players new and old. Also I have a hangering to buy shiny soldiers. (don't tell the missus)

Does anyone have any contact or know what the amendments were. I have searched but not come up with anything.

Thanks
User avatar
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Darkman wrote:Hi All

Reading the article about Little wars that Aly Morrison did at Partizan in WI last month and was interested in what changes he made so that he didn't use match firing guns. Not that I have anything against the guns but thought it might make for an easier intro game for players new and old. Also I have a hangering to buy shiny soldiers. (don't tell the missus)

Does anyone have any contact or know what the amendments were. I have searched but not come up with anything.

Thanks
I'll ask Aly for you as I'm not sure how often he pops into this forum.
Cheers
Dave
Darkman
Major
Major
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 am
Location: Gloucester UK

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by Darkman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks David

Firing guns is great, but very damaging on the paint work.

Steve
User avatar
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:45 pm

Steve, Aly has just gotten back to me and he said that he didn't use the Little Wars rules he used the ACW rules that are given away in the Perry's plastic set. He thinks that the artillery rules will be included in the plastic set when it comes out soon but he basically used a 5 or 6 to hit at short range, 6 at long just to keep it simple.
Cheers
Dave
Darkman
Major
Major
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 am
Location: Gloucester UK

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by Darkman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks David.
Bit disappointed but never mind. Have to see if I can think up something more in line with HGW's ideas. Other than buying any matchstick firing gun I can find.

Steve
User avatar
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Darkman wrote:Thanks David.
Bit disappointed but never mind. Have to see if I can think up something more in line with HGW's ideas. Other than buying any matchstick firing gun I can find. Steve
I think Aly and a number of others had looked at buying match firing guns but seemingly they go for crazy prices.
Cheers
Dave
AlyMorrison
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:03 pm

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by AlyMorrison » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Steve ..
Having now re- registered ... With a password even I can remember .
I can respond to your post.

Dave has covered what we did for our game , but I thought I would add a couple of more points.
One of the main reasons for not using "firing" guns on the day was that it was a demo game and the idea of pursuing errant ammunition across a busy room did not appeal to me, also with Kellam Hall being a council owned building I feared that the health and safety police might get me :shock:

The other point is that it is actually quite difficult to knock down a "solid" toy soldier with a match stick firing gun.
H.G. used hollow cast miniatures which are surprisingly light and therefore relatively easy to topple ,our modern toys (even 42mm) take quite a whack to get them over and I am not sure I could face the potential damage to my lovingly applied paint.

Someone did suggest using cotton buds , this does seem like the safer (If less martial) method .
Let me know how you get on.
All the best. Aly
User avatar
Atheling
Major General
Major General
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by Atheling » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 am

AlyMorrison wrote: Someone did suggest using cotton buds , this does seem like the safer (If less martial) method .
Let me know how you get on.
All the best. Aly
Well, that's tickled me :lol: .

You might get a more powerful shot of you sharpened one end of the bud and rammed the fluffier end in the gun!

See my blog here for a working scale model of a Late Medieval Seige gun a guy called Paul made! It really works!!!

http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... mbard.html

And on Paul's Blog:

http://paulsbods.blogspot.de/2013/08/me ... model.html

Good shooting! :D

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Darkman
Major
Major
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 am
Location: Gloucester UK

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by Darkman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi Aly

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that you had used the Little wars rules as written but found a mechanism for artillery fire without the match firing guns.
One concept I am looking at is coins. Toss 4 coins per gun say, opponent calls the face to miss, all hits are tossed again until they miss. Reduction in number of coins for range or cover maybe. That would fit in with little wars concept more I think. Other ideas would be welcome.

Steve
User avatar
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Darkman wrote:Hi Aly

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that you had used the Little wars rules as written but found a mechanism for artillery fire without the match firing guns.
One concept I am looking at is coins. Toss 4 coins per gun say, opponent calls the face to miss, all hits are tossed again until they miss. Reduction in number of coins for range or cover maybe. That would fit in with little wars concept more I think. Other ideas would be welcome.
Steve
How about rolling marbles from the front of each gun? the bigger the gun the more marbles and range would take care of itself as the target would be harder to hit.
Cheers
Dave
Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:29 am
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri USA

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by Artimas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:23 pm

What's a marble? :evil: I didn't think they even existed anymore.

Artimas
Jefferson City, Missouri USA
User avatar
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Artimas wrote:What's a marble? :evil: I didn't think they even existed anymore.

Artimas
Still get them in shops in Scotland that sell cheap kids toys.
Cheers
Dave
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:40 pm
Location: Irvine, Ayrshire

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by Gerryjd » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:43 pm

obriendavid wrote:
Artimas wrote:What's a marble? :evil: I didn't think they even existed anymore.

Artimas
Still get them in shops in Scotland that sell cheap kids toys.
Cheers
Dave
They used to roll about in Dave's head but apparently he might have lost them........ :lol: :lol: ........that's why he's back to playing with toy soldiers!!! 8) :lol: 8)

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
User avatar
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Aly Morrison and Little Wars

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:50 am

Gerryjd wrote:
obriendavid wrote:
Artimas wrote:What's a marble? :evil: I didn't think they even existed anymore.

Artimas
Still get them in shops in Scotland that sell cheap kids toys.
Cheers
Dave
They used to roll about in Dave's head but apparently he might have lost them........ :lol: :lol: ........)
Cheers
Gerry
That's the effect of gaming with Barry. :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Post Reply