Standard and uniform question

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Standard and uniform question

Post by kutusov » Sun May 18, 2008 8:59 am

Hi Hopefully Thin Red Line can answer this

What was the colour of the Russian Marines Uniform.

and what style of Standards would a line infantry regt carry were they the same as in the napoleonic wars

kutusov
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sun May 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi Bob,
I would put the emphasis on "hopefully", and I suppose that for every question, there are many answers but as far as I know :-
Russian Marines - I have not come across any reference to these before in the Crimea, that does not mean to say there were'nt any.
The "Ekipazh" was the basic organisational unit for the navy (1100 Officers and men) Some of these were organised into Naval Landing Battalions of 6 x 48 man companies. Thats as close to Marines I've come.
Uniforms from Osprey appear very much as Russian Jaegers, black leather belts/cross belts, grey greatcoats, (green tail less jackets were discarded in favour of these) green trousers (white for summer) and forage caps piped white. The Ekipazh served as infantry, manned defensive artillery, and served as labourers.
I suppose the Marines would have followed in much the same vein, with dress jackets in green, (or greatcoat, as to headgear - possibly a picklehaube - but I am guessing here. :(

Standards, I have read reference to Russian units not carrying their colours into action. Then again I have read the exact opposite as well :shock: Either way, I like my units "tooled up" for display - and the Russian Flags look good. Personally, I have been using GMB Napoleonic colours without any enhancement. I understand that by 1854 the coloured fields were edged in red with white corners The centre of the flag would also be red. You can possibly enlighten me as to what was used in the Napoleonic era. I have assumed the 1st Battalion of a Regiment carrying two flags, one with a white field, and one coloured. 2nd, 3rd and 4th Battalions carrying two coloured standards. Was that correct :?:
There certainly seems to be a lot more info availabe for the Brits, than any other nation involved. I suppose thats only natural. Our Marines for example, but Russian Marines :!:
That leaves me with a question for you, if you are enquiring about the above, does that mean someone in the Forfar Club is into Crimea as well as this nut 8)

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Mon May 19, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi Bob

Thanks for the answers

The Russian Battalions during the napoleonic period carried the flags as you have it.I like the GMB flags and use them for all my infantry line regts only the jagers don't carry them into battle.

As for the Crimea one of the guys is dabbling in the Crimea but not on your scale :lol: and not wanting a hernia from shifting vast amounts of lead in 28mm is doing it using Pendraken 10mm figures, pendraken ranges are quite popular within the club.with quite a few periods being covered.

Good to see you at Carronade did you have a go on the raft down the river? :lol:
Bob
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon May 19, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi Bob,

The reference to Jaeger's and not carrying standards into battle is probably the conflicting info I had picked up on (but could'nt remember where I had read it) - so thanks for the explanation. :wink:

Eureka do a nice range in 18mm - halfway house between 10's and 28's.

As to SESWC though I did not participate myself, I am indebted to Mssrs O'Brien and Jack, who kept my better half and eldest "busy" whilst I skunked off to spend some money on "more" toys :D :D

Went up to Edzell Castle on Sunday, nearly got enrolled in Fraser's Dragoones. Really excellent display, lots of noise, and very friendly and informative - don't know who had a better time, me or the kids :roll:

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."