1st Schleswig Holstein War

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
parkinspieces
Major
Major

1st Schleswig Holstein War

Post by parkinspieces » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi all

I just seen on the following blog(which is an excellent blog for us like minded mid 19th Century fans :wink: ), some great looking 28mm figures for the 1st Schleswig War. These are a private venture, but I've just been informed that they will be made commercially available in about 3 weeks.
For me, fantastic news :D as i had been converting all sorts for this conflict.

http://matratmatt.blogspot.com/

And the Yahoo Link;

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/schleswigwars/

And on another topic for this period, our Derby club will be putting on a 12'x6' Crimean game on at this years Sheffield Triples, 1st Partizan and at the Derby World's.

Cheers

Stuart
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:46 pm

The "Blog" in itself is inspirational and well worth the read, especially where it opens up to the Austrians. As a committed " Crimean" buff, the exposure of the period is most welcome, and gives scope for further "aggression" in eastern europe as well as the Franco Prussian theatre. Two very close and esteeemed colleagues have already espoused this theatre to me, and with the advent of the new "Helion" range in 28mm infinite possibilites array themselves on the horizon.

Now, can we have more info on the proposed Derby Club's 12 x 6 Crimean display. I have battled with (principally reading and understanding) Crimean Rulesets over a few years now, my main pre-occupation being painting figures for Divisional and Corps Level games. With a forthcoming event in the next 12 - 18 months I need to start preparing the ground on this on for the LOGW (Scottish Branch)

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Yes, right then, the game (I know very little on the Crimea :oops: my period is the AWI & F/P :lol: ) anyway, it is loosley based on a Russian sortie against the Allied siege lines at Sevastopol. The rules we use (they are being modified at the moment but don't tell the author or he won't play with me again :twisted: ) called "From the Black Sea to the Baltic".

I believe they we're published a year or so ago in Wargames Illustrated, give a fast game for 2-3 hours play. However, a number of rule clarifications are in the Authors head and as he can't make our club night very often means a game can slip into arguements. Therefore we've taken upon ourselves to do a 2nd addition with the blessing of the Author, whom Barry knows.

Yes I have hundreds of Franco Prussian's, mainly unpainted :cry: .......at the moment!! But I'm stuck on how to base them. I think I'd asked Dave O'Brien to post some pics of his units on Blood and Iron Yahoo group a while back to give me some idea/inspiration but I think he had problems trying to post them.

However, "Like a Stone Wall Group" are putting on a Franco-Prussian :D game on at 1st Partizan and I've only ever seen them do 28mm, so I'm hoping that game will fire me up once more :lol: and be IN 28mm :!:

Cheers

Stuart
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:53 pm

I shall have to keep tabs on this one. With fighting around the Redan and Malakoff, and seige warfare in general, the game sounds like it will be well worth emulating either at Club level, or as a second table at LOGW

"Two very close and esteeemed colleagues" - well, that would include the usual suspects, particularly in the form of one said Mr. O'Brien.

Now some research, and see if I can dig up from "Black Sea to Baltic". I no longer subscribe to WI :? but, another esteemed colleague from the Kirriemuir Club passed on a number of back issues to me - lo and behold, Dec 2006. I now know what my required reading for this week is :!:

Never ceases to amaze me what co=operative, friendly and generous people u rub shoulders with in the pursuit of wargamming

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Barry.........co=operative, friendly and generous :?: :?: :?: :?: :twisted:

Only kidding Barry :wink:
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Amongst his other attributes and qualities :wink:

Bob
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 26, 2009 10:11 am

Bob, I saw the game at Partizan and very impressive it was too but unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me.

Stuart, sorry to miss you at the show. I was ti-ed (had to hyphen this word as Barry's spam blocker didn't like it) up with our display for most of the day and was completely blown away with how much interest was shown in it. When I eventually got a break about 2.30 you were missing from your game but I noticed you at the Hovels stand while I was busy with Barry talking about R2E but you disappeared again.

Did you get a chance to see Phil's Danes and Holsteiners?
The pics he had posted before looked very good but the figures looked even better in the flesh especially with Phil's lovely paint job. So far I have managed to resist these and the Perry's Carlist Wars figures which are just gorgeous as I still have way too many 1866 and FPW figures still to paint before I start anything else.

Cheers
Dave
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Thu May 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Dave

Yes I missed you to (and yes I can see why you were so busy as you always seemed to be in deep conversation with interested punters each time I drifted by) but yes Phil did find me and showed me the figures. I was very taken with them 8) but I, like you to, have been trying to resist them AND the Carlist wars as have to many projects on already :? . However the new Jagers just might tip me over and Aly was telling me on Sunday he would really like to do the Hungarian War of Independence as they are doing the dollies for the Crimean war range that they hope to start soon and it wouldn't be a big step to do 1848 Hungarians.

And yes I got to talk to Barry about R2E as well and got to see some sneak peeks of the pics he hopes to use and oh my, what eye candy there will be in this sumptous rule set with superb figures from Baz and Dave (and others) :shock: :D . Looking forward to this set coming out which would be great as we are doing French Rev War game at 2nd Partizan (hence why I was at Hovels buy bits for our game).

Cheers

Stu
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 29, 2009 11:24 am

parkinspieces wrote:Looking forward to this set coming out which would be great as we are doing French Rev War game at 2nd Partizan (hence why I was at Hovels buy bits for our game).
Stu
Stuart, did Barry also show you some of the page layouts? They are looking superb. He is hoping to have the rules ready for Claymore but this might be a bit tight as it is nearly June already. I'm hoping to be at the next show just as a punter so hopefully we can get a chance to chat and Aly is still keen on us all putting on a FPW game at some point in the future.

Cheers
Dave
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Fri May 29, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi Dave

Yes thanks, Barry did show me the page layouts as well, I didn't like to mention that as well as I wasn't sure how much I could say :? Just in case his forum explodes with other members demanding to see samples of what's coming!!!

I do hope he manages it for Claymore as I also see Foundry are releasing a Napoleonic rule set soon as well.

Good to hear Aly is still interested in FPW, that would concentrate my mind on the painting front as I have sooo many to do. I'll have to try and finish my 1848 Hungarian Hussar unit to show him at Partizan, that may tip him over to start a range :wink:

Stuart
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 pm

parkinspieces wrote:Good to hear Aly is still interested in FPW, that would concentrate my mind on the painting front as I have sooo many to do. I'll have to try and finish my 1848 Hungarian Hussar unit to show him at Partizan, that may tip him over to start a range :wink:
Stuart
Good idea Stuart, I would like to see your hussars as well.
Which figures are you using for them?
Personally I would prefer them to concentrate on the Hungarian Revolt rather than Crimea. Sorry Bob :twisted:

Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 pm

No apologies needed sir, we each have our own forte, it is the common thread, locality, time, sphere of influence that permeates and percolates throughout the "what might have been". 8)

Even without the European tensions a few decades either side, the Imperial Russian interest in Alaska and over wintering of the Baltic Fleet in Union Ports during the ACW, coupled with French and British sympathies lend a lot to what "might have transpired" :shock: :shock:

We as "observers" of a past time can always theorise on what might ahve happened in the historical context. :wink:

As to FPW, Chasseurs D'Afrique, Zouaves and French Infantry - the more the merrier (pity the Prussians or Russians - or whoever they meet) be it FPW, Crimean - or if Austro Hungarian, god help the Russians :!:

Bob