Crimean War - The Light and Heavy Brigades

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Crimean War - The Light and Heavy Brigades

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:43 am

Hello Gents,

Currently reading up on the Crimean War :!: . "The Reason Why', good book about the Charge of the Light Brigade.

Question though :?:

For British cavalry at the time was there still a real difference between 'Heavy Cavalry' and 'Light Cavalry' as per the Napoleonic Wars? :?

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:18 am

Cracker (of a question). :shock:

Most typically of the British, our committees, and cost cutting of the Defence Budget during peacetime, not only had the Cavalry been been reduced in strength since Waterloo from 22,000 to 10,600 (of which 3000 in service in India), but much more insidiously, due to rationale of the duties required to be performed, all cavalry had to be able to perform all the duties expected of cavalry in general, be they Light , or Heavy.
Gone were the days of scouting , warding off * unwelcome attention, foraging and skirmishing for the "Lights". Same applied for holding back the "Heavies" for the decisive charge or fatal blow. All cavalry had to really be "multipurpose" ie equal to "the charge and duties of outpost".

Major General George McClennan (of acw fame) noted that little difference could be distinguished in British Cavalry regiments other than regiments that had recently returned from India, and that applied to the type of mounts. Given that, dress was certainly different, but that's about it as to differences. 8)

* Note that on the march to besiege Sevastopal from Calamitia Bay, the Russians tried to entice the Allies into a trap. Light Cavalry were dispatched (along with RHA) and there was a skirmish on the River Bulganak (first encounter of the campaign). Lights performing the duty envisaged for them :shock:

The most interesting parts of the Crimean Campaign for me certainly centres on the cavalry actions. Scarlett's command of the Heavy Brigade at Balaclava is inconsistent. Given the audacious exploit of the Heavy Brigade in routing a vastly superior Russian force (having been caught in column) and charging uphill with 850 v's 2000+ Russians - well that's typical" cavalry commanders for you. (go on the Scots Greys and Inneskillens).Having succeded in this affray, both Light and Heavy Cavalry Brigades set off down the Valley of Death together :shock: Having already gone through the Russian crossfire, the heavy brigade pulled up, suffering more casualties than during the morning engagement with Rhysov's cavalry.

IT IS HERE THAT YOU MAY PARTICULARLY WANT TO TAKE NOTE. The Light brigade were ahead of the Heavy Brigade, even after setting off together. Why, was it because of the type of mounts they were on, or the discipline applied to differing arms of the Cavalry, holding back etc for the final punch. Why did the "Light's" outpace the "Heavies" :?: :?: :?:

Alas, the Light Brigade pushed home, taking the casualties from frontal fire of the Russian guns. BUT, having taken out the guns, the same fate would not have befell the Heavy Brigade - who were lagging behind the Lights. In my opinion, had the Heavy Brigade continued, they would have been in the right place at the right time to support the Light Brigade just as 2000 Russian Cavalry descended on the Light Brigade. That to me is the the main reason why the Light Brigade suffered such. Certainly the guns and crossfire were major factors, but lack of support proved crucial in what was a glorious failure, as opposed to a glorious success. (Try telling that to Scarlett, or the 600 - actually 673).

In short Sir, I suspect little differnce in operational capacity. In differences as to flair and elan, well, I leave that to you for your considered opinion. 8)

On the "reading up" may I humbly suggest "a Most desperate undertaking" by Alistair Massie, and specifically on the question of cavalry, "Into the Valley of Death" by John + Boris Mollo. The latter book is quite superb deaing solely with British Cavalry, accoutrements, tactics and organisation for the Crimean War (coloured plates by Bryan Fosten have a certain wow factor, albeit with the exception of the Scots Greys, most of the horses are palomino's or bays. Indeed, it helped me form the opinions garnered above. :) :) :)

As usual for me, a bit long winded, but a pleasure to disclose my opinions, and I trust, of some assistance. :D

Thinredline
Last edited by thinredline on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Excellent stuff Bob. To ensure there were no differences the powers in charge also adopted one sword for both types of cavalry in 1853 whereas previously there had been light and heavy cavalry swords. Thanks to a friend I have a copy of said weapon which I could bring along to the next LOGW weekend if you are interested Bob.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Now then... Dave if you bring along the cavalry sword Adrian will start all over with the Scots Gays nonsense :lol:

I also recommend reading The Charge by Mark Adkin of Waterloo Companion fame.
Particularly insightful book with great detail and also reflective argumentation.
Our Bob is the man for the Crimea though... isn't he just! 8)
Way to go Robert ! :wink:

Incidentally was in Foyle's Charing Cross Rd on friday and saw a brand new book
I think called the Illustrated History of the Crimean War.
Brand new out... about £40 cover painting is a beautiful piece of work by a Russian artist of a ragged Russian Naval Battlaion under a fluttering StAndrew's Cross manning the bastions at Sevastopol.
The print also appears inside.
Heavyweight publication... about 10 pages of colour plates of new and contemporary artwork.. a must for Crimean buffs

Bob.. also have some inside info for you.. not for public consumption 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:48 pm

I might be tempted to use the sword on one or two individuals :lol:
If I brought me bugle, all that would be missing is the horse :lol: :lol:

Looked up the book u were referring to Barry - "War in the Crimea - an Illustrated History" by Ian Fletcher and Natalia Ishchenko, and yes the frontspiece does look pretty enticing :D

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info Gents :)

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons