ACW - Chickamauga

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

ACW - Chickamauga

Post by counterattack71 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Just played a nice game of ACW (my first for that period) using the 'Johnny Reb' rules. It has stimulated my interest quite a bit in doing some reading around the conflict. Can anyone suggest some good reading material? I noticed the John Keegan book called "The American Civil War" today in waterstones and thought about picking it up.

I enjoyed the ruleset which seemed easy to grasp and fast paced. For some photos just follow the link below to my blogspot.

Also, as a side note, I visited the Foundry Miniatures factory shop in Nottingham last Monday. Absolutely excellent day out, great helpful service and so many figures to choose from. They also do a discount for buying direct. Nice!
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
Anonymous

Re: ACW - Chickamauga

Post by Anonymous » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 am

counterattack71 wrote:Just played a nice game of ACW (my first for that period) using the 'Johnny Reb' rules. It has stimulated my interest quite a bit in doing some reading around the conflict. Can anyone suggest some good reading material? I noticed the John Keegan book called "The American Civil War" today in waterstones and thought about picking it up.

I enjoyed the ruleset which seemed easy to grasp and fast paced. For some photos just follow the link below to my blogspot.
Hi 71,

First off all, Johnny Reb is a good rule set and it is easy to grasp. We did a lot of gaming over 7 years, one battle each weekend. We played it with up to one Corps on the Southern and up to two Corps for the Northern Side. Fun was alll arround :)

To the reading there is some older stuff which I liked most, i.e.,
Paddy Griffith: Rally Once Again
Paddy Griffith: Battle in the Civil War
Philip Katcher: The American Civil War Source Book
and if still to find/get
The Time Live Series: The Civil War

Personaly I prefer to play the Johnny Rebs, therefore I collected alot of books referring to the "Cause". There are 3 books I love most
James Longstreet: From Mannassas to Appomattox
Long: Memoirs of Rober E. Lee
Nofi: The Gettysburg Campaign

I'm aware that all this books maybe hard to find right now because many of them aging arround 15 to 25 Years but they are very valuable to me.

Hope this helps

Günter
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks for the info,

I've checked online and the Paddy griffiths books seem quite difficult to find. However the Katcher "American Civil War Source Book" is still available.

I'm constantly trawling second hand book shops and have managed to grab alot of out of print stuff in the past at bargain prices - so I'll yours to the list!

Again many thanks.

M.
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rebel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Try www.abebooks (I use .com but there should also be .co.uk)
they definitely have a hardback copy of Rally Once Again from a uk bookseller for about four quid.

- Mike