British Light Brigade

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

British Light Brigade

Post by dashing blade » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Does anyone know if Great war minatures will be doing a range of British Hussars /Lancers?.
Or indeed any mounted Russians . I hope so, cant seem to find any figures out there for them( i know Foundry have some but there rather pricey) :roll:
Any help or comments please. :)
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
dave a
Private
Private

Post by dave a » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:48 pm

yes! we already have the dollies made for both the Russian and British cavalry. We're currently making colonels and staff officers for both sides and then we'll get stuck into the Light Brigade. As I write this I'm just finishing off a figure of Lord Raglan.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:18 am

Fantastic news Dave!
Cant wait. :D :D :D

Is there the slightest chance you'll do sculpts for"Jemmy" and "Boxer"? :)
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Dave,

I hope the Light Brigade also means Chasseurs d'Afrique :wink:

Stuart
dave a
Private
Private

Post by dave a » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:10 pm

there were French in the Crimea? :shock:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 pm

dave a wrote:there were French in the Crimea? :shock:
Although you're just teasing it's amazing how many wargamers only think that the war was only fought between the Brits and Russians, they usually haven't a clue that French, Turks, Egyptians, Greeks and Sardinians were involved. Even the Austrians threatened to get involved in the Balkans at the early stages of the war which is why the Russians had agreed a peace treaty with the Turks before the Allies turned up and stirred up a hornets nest.
Cheers
Dave
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:14 pm

According to the book"Hell Riders" and "Flashman" the war started because of monks fighting over a key in Jerusalem. Who'd of thought a war could start in the Holy land? :shock:
Whatever next...?
They'll be telling me that you can get gravy on your chips in Ipswich next.! :D
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:01 pm

dashing blade wrote: ...the war started because of monks fighting over a key in Jerusalem.
Just ask my old mate Toggy about monks fighting over a redoubt outside Moscow.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Moscow hey!
I thought the Redoubt was in Eastbourne? :?

Anyway Hell riders is a good book and i highly recommend it,the Lord Lucan ,Lord Cardigan profiles and mutual hatred is riveting.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Looking forward to the Staff Officers and Colonels :D

I already have a small Crimean collection, alas Foundry and will have to be picky and choosy, but I do like what I have seen so far, and look forward to more of this range becoming available. 8)

One thing the allies did not have throughout the campaign, was buckets of cavalry, and Raglan was probably correct to put them in a protected "band box" to conserve them to start with.

As to cavalry, the Allies only had the Light Brigade and some Turks available at the Alma. The French cavalry and Heavy Brigade still being at Varna and Constantinople at this point.

The Heavy Brigade did not materialise until after the Alma. The French Chasseurs were responsible for covering the retreat of the remanants of the Light Brigade after their charge at Balaclava, and performed very well.

The Turks had little in the way of cavalry in the theatre, and this hindered their usage in field operations outwith the immediate vicinity of Sevastopal. Good garrison troops though and in Naval landings/expeditions to Kerch etc. :shock

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."