R2E ACW unit size ?

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
pandour

R2E ACW unit size ?

Post by pandour » Fri May 27, 2011 7:50 am

Hello mr Hilton,

Could you please tell more about R2E ACW unit size ?

number of figures ?
Basing sizes ?

I must begin to paint my first 28mm ACW army now

best regards

patrick
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: R2E ACW unit size ?

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 27, 2011 10:03 am

The figure scale is the same as R2E, 1:20 scale so pick historical units and divide by 20 and that will give you the number of figures needed.
Because many units in the ACW could be very small, less than 200 men there are options for converging smaller units together. I had thought about doing the Irish Brigade at Gettysburg but the Brigade total is only 532 men which equates to 26 figures.
Hope this helps?
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: R2E ACW unit size ?

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:33 am

Patrick, please... call me Barry, only the Police and my Mother call me Mr Hilton! :oops:

Basing is irrelevant so what ever you think will be fine but as a general rule 15-20mm frontage per infantryman and multiple bases will make movement and calculation easier.
Combat groups of 4 as per the Napoleonic version for shooting and fighting.

I am beginning to get play test data coming back now. Artillery is deadly particularly against the smaller units.

I found the games I set up in the house to be very quick and very bloody so I am checking on the balance of a couple of mechanics at the moment.

Dave has mentioned the amalgation of units. Here is an extract of the draft text from that section to give you a flavour;
Infantry
Infantry units can be 10-50 models depending on the year and theatre of the war. A brigade must have a minimum of 2 units present unless the entire brigade is less than 800 men (40 models) when it can be fielded as a single unit.
Very small units of infantry and cavalry within a brigade can be combined into larger units which cannot exceed 50 models for infantry and 40 models for cavalry. They would then be known by either the combined names of all units or the brigadier.
For example: In 1863 the Federal infantry brigade known as the Iron Brigade is composed of the
2nd Wisconsin (200 men) = 10 models
6th Wisconsin (180 men) = 9 models
7th Wisconsin (400 men) = 20 models
19th Indiana (600 men) = 30 models
This could be fielded as 4 units with the noted strengths or
2nd/6th Wisconsin (19 models)
7th Wisconsin (20 models)
19th Indiana (30 models) or
2nd/6th /7th Wisconsin (39 models)
19th Indiana (30 models) or
other combinations.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"