covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

15mm Franco Prussian War

Post by Sheepman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:39 pm

A re visit to this period on my blog:
http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.com/
However is there much progress towards an R to E version for this period. I would guess that the biggest obstacle would be the weapon/ranges difference between the protagonists and getting the ground scales right, especially if you use 28mm figs.
Thoughts?
All the best to everyone for Xmas and the New Year.
Dave
'I always wear me wellies'.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: 15mm Franco Prussian War

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:56 pm

I too am thinking about the Franco-Prussian for 28mm. I've been reading through some of the existing rule sets to try and pull out any technical data. One thing I want to look at is the Crimean War and the ACW supplements when Barry releases them. I think that will help us to better determine the direction we can take.

One thought that did come to mind is that except for a few famous cavalry charges this was mainly an infantry & artillery war so that will help when it comes to building up units for both sides. :)
Greg
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:58 am

I did a very large F.P. armies in 28mm best project i ever did full of colour and uniforms, got a ton of prussian figures all helion could sell them cheap if you are interested in them as i have around 2000 figures 28mm scale, for the french go for Renagade 1st world war french cheap and quick to paint, old glory go for the colonial stuff and of course ACW figs for the french...great era to game and very under played, rules i found that fitted in was the Black Powder rules with a few amendments
blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 am

Apparently the 1870 rules by Bruce Weigle are good for bigger scale games (so mostly 6mm), and have a large amount of period information.

Personally I game in 15mm and use 'They Died For Glory' rules. They generally work better for engagements of no larger than 2 or three divisions a side (each infantry unit is a battalion). They are weighted towards the Prussians, but I and those I game with have found the rules to be simple, elegant, give an excellent feel for the period and don't detract from the gaming experience. The only thing to be careful about is ensuring that games/scenarios are balanced sufficiently to allow both sides to feel that they have a chance to win... But I've found that's often the case with any set of rules.
19th Century Trooper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 19th Century Trooper » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi 18th Century Guy,

Still chasing FPW :wink:

I've repurposed a lot of my Prussians for 1866, and the 1848-50 Schleswieg-Holstein Wars.

Terry
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:26 pm

I agree about the scenarios its something of an art writing them.

:evil: Ginger