The Future Saxon Army 1866 - 1882

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Future Saxon Army 1866 - 1882

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:30 am

Dear Friends,

in this thread I will start to write about a future project to built a Saxon Army of the Austro/Prussian- and French/Prussian Wars.
This will include the historical make-up, the views of a minor German State of the 'Greater Good' and the Transformation of a Saxon State from it's start in 1815 up to the Disaster of 1866.

I will write this as a translation of the 3rd Book of Schuster/Francke's threepart "Geschichte der Sächsischen Armee".

As this is for me only a distant future project posts in this thread will be very sporadic while reading a book in old german letters will be the hard part :wink: .

Best Wishes

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The Future Saxon Army 1866 - 1882

Post by obriendavid » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:58 am

Friedrich August I. wrote: As this is for me only a distant future project posts in this thread will be very sporadic while reading a book in old german letters will be the hard part :wink: .
Günter
When I was at school the main book we used for our German classes was written in Gothic script which was a nightmare to read so I sympathise with you. Apart from the Gothic script our teacher had such a strong German accent it was sometimes difficult to work out if she was speaking to you in English or German which is probably why my German was so bad. At least that's my excuse. :wink:

Looking forward to this phase of your history lesson Gunter.
Cheers
Dave
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:18 am

I look forward to your work!
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Dear Followers of this Thread,

before starting with the forementioned timeframe I go back in history to show up the difficulties and problems Saxony faced at the start of the final stage of the Saxon Army.

The History since 1815(1813) was for Saxony a very hard one. Since the Campaign of Germany, also know as the 'Befreiungskriege', the Kingdom of Saxony was a ravaged, war-torn country. The land was stripped of almost all recources, horses and manpower as the winners and the loosers recruited menpower into their depleted ranks.
1814, while the Congress was held in Vienna, to reform the countries of Europe arround the pre-revoulutionary borders a dispute broke out about the fate of Saxony. Prussia wanted to whipe Saxony from the face of Europe.
The reason for this was a treaty signed between Russia and Prussia at Kallisch in which Prussia ceded his polish possessions to Russia as repayment for their help to 'liberate' Germany from the French Oppressor. For this lost Territorry Prussia wanted compensation in form of Saxony, Westphalia, Hannover and other smaler Lands.
When it comes up to Saxony almost a war broke out between Austria, France and England on one side and Prussia and Russia on the other because Prussia wanted to annex Saxony totaly.
After long debates and saber rattlings a compromise was found by the Czar by cutting Saxony in Half.
While this was decided the King of Saxony was detained near Berlin for almost a year and on January 7th 1815 he was allowed to return to his reduced country to be cheerfully greeted by his loyal subjects. Professions of faith were reaching the King also from the now Prussian annexed Parts of Saxony, the term of 'Must-Prussian' made its round.
While most of the Saxon Army laid in Luettich Bluecher started by order of the King of Prussia to sort out the parts of troops who were from lands now under the control of Prussia. This led to a revolt within the Saxon troops because they hadn't received their farewell by the King of Saxony. Bluecher fled the city, and ordered two of his Corps-Commanders to do the job, but both refused.
In the end the revolt was ended by force and 7 members of the Leibgrenadier-Garde were executed.

Saxony lost 57% of it's land and 47% of his people to Prussia.

1827 King Friedrich August I. died after leading Saxony for 59 Years. Allready in Lifetime he received the title 'The Just'. Friedrich August I. was followed by his brother Anton who ruled Saxony for only 9 years. Anton died 1836 and transformed Saxony into a constitutional monarchy singled out within the German Union.
His Succesor was Friedrich August II. Ruling from 1836 until 1854 his reign was a liberal one, freeing countrymen from overcome feudal taxation systems, liberates the election system and removed censorship.
While on route from Italy to Munich his coach had an accident in Tirol. He was thrown out of the coach and kicked by a horse against his head. On August 8th. 1854 Friedrich August II. died.

1854 Johann von Sachsen(1801-1873) is crowned King of Saxony.

Next will be a review of the reduced and reformed Saxon Army.

Thank you for following
All questions are welcome

Friedrich August I.
(RIP)
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote: Saxony lost 57% of it's land and 47% of his people to Prussia.
Now I realise why the Prussians are so unpopular :shock:
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 am

The Situation of the Saxon Army after the Napoleonic Wars:

The Saxon Army 1815 was only a shadow of it's former strenght. By splitting the Kingdom of Saxony in two the army was also cut down to merely half of it's strenght so only 12.000 men remained under their colours.
At Osnabrueck the Saxon Army underwent a reorganisation. It was done after the 1813 outlines. After this was finished the Corps stood as follows:
Brigade Cavalry:
3 Squadrons Leibkürassiergarde
2 Squadrons Clemens Ulanen
4 Squadrons Husaren
1 Squadron Stabs-Dragoner(all what remains of the Chev.Leg.)
2 Batteries of Horse Artillery
1st Inf.Brigade:
1st Battalion Leib-Grenadier Regt.
3 Battalions 1st. Line Infantry Regt.
3 Battalions 2nd. Line Infantry Regt.
3 Battalions 3rd. Line Infantry Regt.
2nd Inf.Brigade:
3 Battalions of the Reserve Landwehr Regt.
2 Battalions of the Duke's of Saxony
Jaeger Battalion
1st. Light Infantry Battalion
2nd. Light Infantry Battalion
Artillery Brigade:
1. 6pdr Battery
2. 6pdr Battery
1. 12pdr Battery
2. 12pdr Battery
Main- and Divisional Park
Sapper Detachment
Train Coloumn

Total:
10 Squadrons 92 Off., 1639 men
18 Battalions 371 Off., 13206 men
Art. and Train 56 Off., 1845 men
Sappers 2 Off., 64 men
All Together 521 Officers, 16754 Men, 3404 Horses and 48 guns

1820 saw some reductions of existing troops to reflect on the dire financial situation of the Saxon state.
The long line of peacefull Years from 1815 until 1849 had no significant changes for the army. The constitution of the German Union placed the Saxon troops into the 9th Army Corps, grouped together with Hessen and Nassau, for which Saxony has to provide the Commander.

1822 The complete Cavalry receives a 'uniform' weaponry and appearence. The Leib-Kürassiergarde receives a 5th Squadron and is renamed 'Garde-Reiterregiment'. The 'Ulanenregiment' is renamed 1. Leichtes Reiterregiment. The Husarenregiment is renamed 2. Leichtes Reiterregiment. The only difference between them was the horses of the Garde-Reiterregiment were of German Origin while the two Leichte Reiterregiments got Polish Horses.

1827 Death of King Friedrich August I. .
The Army mourned for 1 Year :!:

1831 A ministry of War was built.
1832 Parts of the Army receives new Uniforms. The White Uniforms are replaced by the Cavalry against Light Blue with different colors for collars and turnbacks.
The Line Infantry receives green uniforms with light blue collars, cuffs, turnbacks and trousers.
1835 - 1838 all fire weapons are refitted to percussion.
1840 The Cavalry receives a new formation, smallest part of the Regiment is now the Squadron and no longer the company. This brought the Regiments to 639 men in 6 Squadrons each.
1842 The Infantry Regiments are increased in strength by 150 men so they now had 1895 men in 3 Battalions.
1848 Revolution sweeps through Central Europe
1849 Participation of 6400 men in the Sleswig Holstein War.

By resulution of the German Central Power all members of the German Union are ordered to raise 2% of their citiziens to built the Army instead of the earlier 1%. That ment for Saxony to increase the strenght of the army from 12.000 to 25.000 men.
Each of the 4 Infantry Regiments as also the Light Infantry are to raise a 4th Battalion. Such a Contingent, by dissolving the term Regiment, are to be called brigade in the future. Each Battalion has now a strenght of 1016 men. At the same time all Battalions are to be consecutive numbered from 1 to 16.
The Cavalry is also enlarged to a 3. Leichtes Reiterregiment.
The 4 Regiments, with 5 Squadrons each, are now 800 men strong. The title 'leicht' was removed.
The so enlarged Saxon Army was now formed into 2 Infantry and 1 Cavalry Division.

The next part concentrates on the time between 1850 and 1866

Thanks for following
All questions are welcome

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri May 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Dave / Greg,

What part would be most interesting for you? 1866 or more towards 1871?

Günter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri May 04, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm interested in both but if I have to make a choice it would be 1866 for me.
Cheers
Dave
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri May 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Gunter,

I'm the same as Dave. I'll basically take whatever you can give us but if you give ME a choice I'd say 1695 - 1721. :mrgreen:
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat May 05, 2012 3:26 am

Dave / Greg,

Ok, then I will try to go more into depth on this timeperiod of the War between the Southern German States and the Northern Part.

Greg,

Does your comment mean you would like to read more about the GNW like in my other Thread?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3628

Günter

18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Gunter,

I must have missed that thread. Yes, I need to read it.
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon May 07, 2012 5:27 am

Dear Followers of this thread,

this part will tell the history of Saxons way through 1850 to 1870,
from a 'Loose/Loose' - to a 'Win/Win' - Situation.

1850 The year starts with (General-Mobilmachung) mobilisation of the Armies of the German Union because of a plea for help from the Hessian Electorate. Prussia called for its complete army and Landwehr while Austria formed a large Army in Bohemia.

But it didnt come to any military intervention. By end of November the Armies stood down again.

Changes until 1859:
Parts of the 'Schuetzen-Battalions' are equipped with 'Spitzkugel'-Rifles or Dorngewehr (Thorn Gun..?).
July 1st: The Infantry is again seperated from the Cavalry and forms in their own brigades. The 2nd. and 3rd. Brigade formed the 1st Division while the Leib- and the 1st. Brigade formed the 2nd. Division. The Brigade Light Infantry remained under the direct Infantry Commander.
August 8th: Prince Albert is nominated to Brigadier of the Light Infantry.
October 1st: The 'Zimmerleute'(Sapper) of each Battalion are formed into a platoon and are getting additional tools like shovels and saws.
1851 The War-Academy is formed out of the Artillery- and Cadet-School. One of its scholars between 1851 and 1853 was Prince Georg with the Artillery branch.
January 1st 1852: All Medics of the Army are combined within a "Sanitaets-Corps" of 247 men
May 1st: A Music platoon is formed out of the disbanded Signal men.
The "Waffenrock" receives on its lower end a Passepoil, white for the Cavalry, red for all the others.
With decree from December 5th 1852 all Schuetzen Battalions armed with 'Dorn-Gewehr' are now renamed Jaeger Battalions.
November 1853 Prince Albert receives the Command over all the Infantry.
August 9th 1854 King Friedrich August II. dies. His succesor is his brother, King Johann.

...to be continued(after getting back form work this evening) :wink:

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm

In February 1855 the 12pdr "Granatkanonen", similiar to the French 12pdr Napoleons, were as suggested by the Minister of War v. Rabenhorst established. Later (1859) the guns received gun-carriges of grinded iron sheets
In August 1855 the mounted Troops were formed into 2 Brigades, Garde- und 1. Reiterregiment the 1st Brigade, 2. and 3. Reiterregiment formed the 2nd Brigade.
1859 Mobilisation - Allready at the start of the Year has the agreement between Austria and France suffered because of the Italian affairs. Sardinia, encouraged by France, embattled himself to free Italia from the Austrian Reign. Austria on the other hand was forced to raise an Army in Peacetime. To end this situation Austria entered enemy territory on April 27th.
Because of the obscure attitude of Prussia which demanded a Neutral standing of Germany all other German Union Countries were paralized and unable to move. Austria stood alone.
Austria sued for Peace after loosing the Battles of Magenta and Solferino against the mighty foes France and Sardinia.
Further Changes until 1864:
At the End of 1860 the so far used "Feldmuetze" was removed and replaced by the form allready in common by the prussian and other german troops - A cap in the color of the 'rock' and a headband in the color of the turnbacks.
1862 - 30 Rifled Cannons were bought from Prussia, 6dr Rifled Guns, with Iron Gun carridges. The Granatkanonen stayed in use.
1861 - The replacement of the Dorngewehr with Austrian rifled muskets, System Lorenz, was started and 1862 finished.
1862 - A new uniform was decreed. Changing the Infantry green coat to light blue like the Mounted Troops.

What happened in the Years between 1863, no not Gettysburg :wink: and 1864 in Holstein will be the next part.

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue May 08, 2012 5:36 am

1863 - German Union "Bundesexecution" in Holstein.
After the Death of the Danish King Frederik VII. who's Succesor was Christian IX. the Schleswig-Holstein Question stepped forward again. Which led to squabbling between the members of the German Union. One Part requested immediat actions to be taken to occupy Holstein and Lauenburg. Against stood the two major german powers because of the London Protocol as they feared a violation of this treaty would lead to a European War.
The German Union decided with a small majority to execute an earlier decission, the 'Bundesexekution', on Dec. 7th, 1863.
3000 Saxon and 3000 Hanoverian were sent into action. But because of 12.000 Danish Troops in Holstein and 9000 Danes in Schleswig the German Union Troops were soon increased in strength.
6000 Saxon and 16.000 Hanoverian, Prussian and Austrian Troops were ordered forward.
The Saxon troops were 6.796 men, 2069 Horses and 16 Cannons.
6 Battalions, 7 Squadrons and 3 Batteries as well as a Pioneer detachment.
The Battalion strenght was 780 men, a Squadron had 124 men.

Participation of the Saxon Army in the Campaign 1866 in Austria.

The Saber rattling started allready in Denmark where Austria and Prussia squabbled about the Territory both occupied. Further disagreements led to a part mobilisation of Prussia and Austria as early as 1865. As Saxony stood between these two major powers it too started mobilize its Troops and Reserves. Ammunition production was increased, 2600 horses bought and recruits got a faster training then normal reduced by almost 14 days.
With the positioning of the Prussian Troops in the North and East the Prelude to the Campaign of 1866 started.
The Saxon Landtag approved the raise of 4,650.000 Thalers for the event of War.
A Comparsion: The full cost of the Saxon Army of 1810 (30.000 men) was 1.8 Million Thalers.
The Strenght of the Saxon Army on the day of the General Mobilization May 20th was:
591 Officers
23,350 men
6589 War Reservists (Depot)
2052 Duty Reservists (Volunteers)
all together 32,581 men incl. Officers.
In midst of June the strenght was
620 Officers and 31,334 men with 8800 Horses and 68 Cannons.

To be continued with...
Ordre the Bataille of the Saxon Army 1866

Stay tuned