Suitable Rules for Crimea

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Hello Dave, and Theo, :D

If and when a new range does come on the market, I hope my wallet is full, and my painting mountain much reduced :wink:

Until then, I shall keep on taking the medicine :shock: :shock:

The Perry Figures from the Sudan Range are painting up quite nicely, and I shall add to the existing Foundry Ranks from here. :D

Kind Regards,
Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the replies. Foundry it is then!

I'm reading Royle's book at the moment and have the one by Fletcher and the Russian historian lined up. At Slaute I got hold of the 2 vols of Crimean Basics and one of the Ospreys. So ... enough to get me started.

Thanks for the interest.

Theo
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Just a note on size wise regarding the possible Crimean range from Dave and Aly is that they will probably be the same build like their current fantastic range of Great War Miniatures :wink: (there's a plug).

Dave has thought (and may be still thinking) about this as he has himself a superb collection of Foundry Crimean figures, but it would mean a possible change in sculpting style from what they are currentely doing as it makes sense to keep the present and any future ranges the same "build".

Even though at our club we do a lot of Crimean with foundry figures, it won't stop me from buying GWM French (when they eventually do them) to rebuild my Crimean/1859 French.

But this possible new range I feel is some ways off and as Dave 'n' Aly are like any other wargamers, albeit extremly talented ones, they to could end up being tempted by another period.............hopefully Franco Prussian :twisted:

Hope you've all seen their new 1914 French now out....wooops, another plug :wink:

Stuart
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:29 am

Hi Stuart, what rules do you use for your Crimean bashes :?:
If Dave and Aly were to produce another Crimean, whatever the style, I am afraid I would be chomping at the bit - I'm sure it is a form of compulsive disorder - I have to acquire more, and more, and more Crimean figures. I have 5000 bits of lead, and still acquiring. :roll:
Off to have a look at those "plugs" you made :lol:

Theo - best wishes on starting your collection. I forgot to mention one book, nay - BIBLE for the British Cavalry, that is "Into the Valley of Death", the British Cavalry Division at Balaclava 1854 by John and Boris Mollo ISBN 1-872224-75-X. The colour plates are superb, and content, well, Formations and Movement, Tactics, Clothing and Accroutrements, Equipment, Saddlery and Horse Furniture, Weapons, Service Dress, and detailed notes on each of the cavalry types and regiments (HD, LD, Hussars, etc) Quite literally one of the best books in my possession, accurate and very detailed :D :D
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:21 am

Great books for the Crimea has to be the full set of Kinglake but my gem for the period is the 6 volume set of 'The War with Russia' by Henry Tyrrell full of great info and great illustrations. Let me know if you want to borrow them at some point Bob or if you want I can give you a full list of Crimea books to see if there's anything to inspire you.

Cheers
Dave
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Thu May 08, 2008 8:37 am

Guys,

The Mollo book on the cavalry is a delight!

Theo
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu May 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Theo Raykoske wrote:Guys,

The Mollo book on the cavalry is a delight!

Theo
Glad you like it Theo :D

Bob