Battlefield Tour 2014

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Battlefield Tour 2014

Post by j1mwallace » Fri May 23, 2014 9:39 am

Now that things have died down I thought that some of you guys might be interested in our trip from 7 th to 21st April this year.
We flew from Edinburgh to Washington. Spent 3 days touring Gettysburg.
Then on to Antietam , Manassas, Culpepper , Warrenton. (for a really interesting visit to Mosby's house and a lecture on the civil war in Fauquier county).
Appomatox for a re enactment of Saylers creek. Met Robert E lee, Generals Longstreet, Pickett, Grant and Meade.
Then on to Lexington for Jacksons house, Lee's tomb. Jackson's grave and the VMI.
Down the valley to New market (our favourite and best preserved). Fredericksburg, Dumfries!
We based ourselves in Ashland and then took in Richmond (museum of the confederacy and Tredegar Iron works, Petersburg,(Pamplin Park has rebuilt defences and re enactors) Five forks, Wilderness and Seven days @ Spotsylvania.
2300 miles,2 weeks. An extra case full of books and souvenirs and a requirement for another holiday to recover.
If any of you guys are considering a battlefield tour, do it. its easy!And cheaper than you might think
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Battlefield Tour 2014

Post by PaulMc » Fri May 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting this, I'd hoped to get a chance to ask you more about it at Carronade, but there were too many distractions!

Do you happen to have any photos you'd like to share? I'd love to see some if you do. :)
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"