ACW, Rules &

covering mainly Crimean & American Civil War
PaulPatrick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

ACW, Rules &

Post by PaulPatrick » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:22 am

I'm thinking of dabbling in the ACW period. Any recommendations for 15/28mm figure ranges?

Also,what rule sets are people using? Anyone recommend Regimental Fire & Fury?

Many thanks. Paul
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: ACW, Rules &

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:47 am

PaulPatrick wrote:I'm thinking of dabbling in the ACW period. Any recommendations for 15/28mm figure ranges?

Also,what rule sets are people using? Anyone recommend Regimental Fire & Fury?

Many thanks. Paul
Hi Paul,
I believe You will have first to make your mind up what size you will do, 15 or 28mm. The next step will be the Rules to use. If you want to raise your force fast than you may use the F&F Rules. If it is as long term Project, like me, I gonna wait for Barry's "Rally to the Colours" for which he has a raw draft of 37 pages so far.
Here is a glimps to my 'lumbering' Collection of Rebel Soldiers:

The Miniatures I am using are, besides of the Cavalry(Dixon), Steve Barber, which are made of seperate Heads, Torso, Legs and the Arm that carries the Rifle so you can choose the position. Thousend of Variants though.
Flags have been made by Rick O'Brien aka the Flag Dude.

Hope that helps,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:32 am

I've used F&F in the past and really liked them but have not tried the regiment version so can't comment on those. In the past I have used many other sets and generally had fun playing with them but the most important thing is not the rules but who you game with as the best set of rules can be ruled by one idiot arguing every point. Presently the group I game with when I'm not with Barry, Bob and Gerry all like Black Powder and are looking to use them for ACW. Having recently bought their ACW supplement Glory Hallelujah I have to admit being very impressed with them, they are very well produced with lots of interesting period specific rules, army lists, scenarios with specific lists for those scenarios and descriptions of how they fought them. All points that remind me of what Barry started years ago with all his rule sets so this is obviously the best form of flattery.
Even if you are planning on waiting on Barry's rules I would still suggest getting a hold of Glory Hallelujah.
Hope this is useful?
Cheers
Dave
PaulPatrick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by PaulPatrick » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:41 am

That is very helpful Gunter.

If Barry is working on a rule set then I will make this a long term project.

Is the draft available? Thanks. Paul.
PaulPatrick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by PaulPatrick » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:46 am

Thank you David.

Being a 'Barry devotee' I've not used Black Powder,although I've got the rules & various supplements. I will get hold of a copy of 'Hallelujah' just for the info.

I have RFF & it's scenario books as I found the unit labels etc very helpful.

Obviously,I'm eager to see Barry's rules when they emerge. I don't know where he gets the time for it all.

Cheers. Paul.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:04 am

PaulPatrick wrote:That is very helpful Gunter.

If Barry is working on a rule set then I will make this a long term project.

Is the draft available? Thanks. Paul.
If Barry permits I could send you the pdf via email

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: ACW, Ruls

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:27 pm

PaulPatrick wrote:Thank you David.

Being a 'Barry devotee' I've not used Black Powder,although I've got the rules & various supplements. I will get hold of a copy of 'Hallelujah' just for the info.
Cheers. Paul.
The basic set up has been around for a while it's just with our day jobs and everything else going on we haven't really play tested yet although some others have had a few test runs.
Cheers
Dave
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Gunter would it be possible for you to sent me a copy to as i,d like to try them out.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:26 am

Try Longstreet. They give an excellent game. You can download Longstreet Lite and the cards for free from Sam Mustafa's website. Black Powder and glory Hallelujah are well worth it. Fire and Fury, both regimental and full brigade size give an excellent game. I think that i have tried every civil war set written in the last 50 years .
Longstreet has been very enjoyable. The campaign rules in particular are excellent . You can get a really enjoyable game with 5 or 6 regiments plus supports per side .
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:55 pm

j1mwallace wrote:.... I think that i have tried every civil war set written in the last 50 years ..
Ah! That must be the reason for the sad wrinkles around your eyes! :wink: :D