relative standard sizes

For topics related to wargaming in the period 1600-1660
Rank Bajin
Private First Class
Private First Class

relative standard sizes

Post by Rank Bajin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:45 pm

gents,

do you have any ideas/views on the relative size of the typical cavalry standard in comparrison to an infantry flag.

Looking to start work on some designs for my covenanter cav but don't want to go to small or too big

cheers

Roy
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

ECW standards

Post by subedai » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Roy,
According to the Osprey New Model Army book by Stuart Asquith it says that the infantry standards were usually 6' 6'' square and each of the 10 companies carried one, normally all together in front of the unit. Cavalry had much smaller standards, 2' square, one usaully carried by each of the regiment's six companies.

The above information is also applicable to Scottish units as corroborated in Flags of The English Civil Wars Part Two, The Scottish Colours of Foot and Cornets of Horse 1639-1651 by S. Ede-Borrett and B. Mcgarrigle. This booklet also goes on to say that colour poles 'were probably about the same length as their English counterparts -that is some 7 to 7 1/2 feet plus ferrule.' Cavalry standards were carried an 8-9 foot long lance similar to the type carried by medieval knights.

Hope this helps.
Rank Bajin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rank Bajin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks for this - I'll probably make the horse standards 1/4 size of the infantry ones - probably a bit bigger than they were in reality - but will give me a bit more space to paint on - its been hard enough doing designs on the infantry ones!!