Ren gaming rules?

For topics related to wargaming in the period 1600-1660
flick40
Major General
Major General

Ren gaming rules?

Post by flick40 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:01 pm

This is the closest forum for this question.
I am considering taking the plunge into another period, the mid to later 1500s. French wars of religion and all that. My question is rules, what to use? I am looking for something playable, non competition driven, has a decisive conclusion and gives a reasonable facsimile of the period. Fun is automatic as long as were playing. I have DBR, and read about DBA-RRR both of which are competition based. The bonus for DBR is the army lists. Not enough figures on the table with DBA-RRR. Other than those rules I am unfamiliar with others. Suggestions?

Joe
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:40 pm

I know that the old WRG rules by Gush are popular in some quarters, but I found them way too "laundry list" competitive for my taste.

The (free) "Basic Baroque" supplement for Impetus or the (free) Basic Impetus has had a lot of positive feedback that I've seen. Check these out at the following site:

http://www.dadiepiombo.com/impetus2.html

Note that you'll have to hunt around a bit. Basic Impetus is free download (and apparently quite popular); Impetus is more complex and comes in a nice glossy format; Basic Baroque is again a .pdf download (as are army lists).

Hope that this helps.

-- Jeff