Hanoverienne Legion

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
quindia
General
General

Hanoverienne Legion

Post by quindia » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:09 pm

The first of two battalions. The second is underway and should be finished before the end of the month...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:04 pm

yeah, not bad.........
:wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:05 am

God's Teeth - they're good!

First those excellent Spanish and now these... how do you paint so quickly and so well Mr C?

It takes me weeks to finsh one unit :(
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:46 pm

:)

I do paint fast! I can normally paint four Napoleonic models per day. Obviously I have no time to paint every day, but I try to maintain a schedule of 12-20 models per week. With this particular unit, I cheated because The first 24 models appear in Republic to Empire. I decided I needed two battalions of 30 models and so knocked out 6 more for the first battalion. I started the second battalion on the 15th so we'll see how long that takes - may goal was the end of the month... 30 models in 16 days. So far I have the grenadier company finished...

Here's a speed painting tip... my normal method is a black undercoat followed by a three-layer 'Foundry Style'. However, you don't need to paint three layers on everything. I normally only use one highlight layer on black and white. Belts and straps, textured items (like musket stocks), packs, etc. only need one highlight unless you're painting for competition. I focus on faces, hands, coats, and facings for Napoleonics as the impact in the period isn't created by single models, but massed columns! I spend more time on command figures and other vignettes, but for rank and file it takes me maybe 45 minutes per model.

Let's see if I can get the second battalion out by the end of the month![/i]
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Hello quindia, nice looking unit 8)

I did not know that the French had a Hanoverienne Legion. Did they become a line regiment later on? Where did they serve?

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:21 pm

The Legion Hanovrienne was created by General Mortier, Governor of Hanover, on 12 August 1803 following the French occupation. it was established as a regiment of light infantry in two battalions and a regiment of chasseurs a cheval in four squadrons.

Desertion, sickness, and the consequences of campaigning in general, meant that neither the infantry nor cavalry elements ever realised their establishmeets. The Legion Hanovrienne was posted to the 3rd Division of Junot's Army of Portugal in 1807, where it served alongside the Legion du Midi (which I intend to add to my collection next month).

This Formation became the 3rd Division, VIII Corps, Army of Spain, later transferred to Soult's II Corps, where it became the 4th Division. The unit continued to serve with the Legion du Midi and both were joined in the 4th Division by the Detachement de marche of the Garde de Paris. By the beginning of 1810 the unit, still with the Legion du Midi, was in the 3rd Division of Ney's VI Corps. On 10 March 1810 the remains of the disbanded Bataillon de Westphalie, which had been combined with the Legion Hanovrienne in 1809, were used to form a second battalion.

Nevertheless, the effects of the war in Spain were such that the Legion Hanovrienne had to be disbanded on 11 August 1811. The remaining personnel were distributed amongst other German speaking regiments of the French army, 3e and 4e Etrangers, 127e, 128e and 129e de ligne.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:30 pm

They are superb, Clarence! :D I dream of being able to get down to 45 minutes per model, as my average is just less than 3 hours! :shock:
Bryce
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks Clarence, interesting history.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Really nice!
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Wait a minute...haven't I seen that unit before? Like page 7 of Republic to Empire?

Nice to see them closer up. Look forward to seeing many more!
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Yep, Paul - I pointed that out above... :lol:

This unit is actually new and improved as it drew reinforcements and now weighs in at 30 models rather than 24.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Outstanding work. Where is the flag from?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:09 am

The flag is from Quindia Studios... that is to say, I made it. All of my flags are custom designed for my units... useful when I pick such off the wall battalions!
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 am

Greystreak wrote:They are superb, Clarence! :D I dream of being able to get down to 45 minutes per model, as my average is just less than 3 hours! :shock:
I'm too scared to calculate how long it takes me to paint a single figure...
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 am

Yep, Paul - I pointed that out above...
:oops: So you did :oops:

That's what happens when you skim read things.

Btw, that flag from Quindia studios...very nice. That chap has talent, has he considered a career as an artist? :wink: (or maybe even marketing pre made flags, hint hint)
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"