Photography

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
quindia
General
General

Photography

Post by quindia » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I got a shiny new Canon Rebel XSi yesterday... here's a shot from literally my first attempts out of the box...

The only post production work on the shot was a 5% increase in brightness because it looked a little dark.

Very exciting - I'm off to play with it some more (and actually document the settings I used for this as I have no idea what they were)!
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Stunning vignette Clarence, wonder if Barry has anything that good :twisted: :wink:

Hope to see more shots like that.

Great stuff

Stuart
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:32 pm

You know me Stuart.. I just wait to see what you do and copy it! :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:04 pm

What Lens did you use?
Wayne
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:15 am

Looking great Clarence! I guess it's a FIBUA base?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:27 am

Wayne, the lens is just the EF-S 18-55 IS that came with the camera. I'm not sure of the settings I used. I just found out this afternoon that all of the camera settings are stored and embedded in the image file so I can simply try a bunch of different settings and figure out which works best after downloading them... pretty cool!

Heneborn, yes, in fact the base was built and painted specifically to illustrate the pioneer base in REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE.
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:56 am

Thanks Clarence,

I've got a similar Lens with my Nikon D40X, but I'm thinking of getting a 60mm Marco Lens for better close-up work.

Wayne
Wayne
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:01 pm

I wouldn't spend the money Wayne. At 10mp you can be pretty far away from the miniature and still get a close shot. I have a d40 which is only 6mp and I shoot mostly with a 55-200mm DX lens that's got a 2ft minimum focal range.
This isn't the best picture since it's just a black primed miniature, but it shows a fairly large image of what's essentially a 12mm figure.

This image was taken with an off-camera flash in the bathroom of my old apartment. Now that I have more space in my painting area I set up two off-camera flashes on stands with umbrellas. I use the washing machine as a surface and bend a sheet of white paper as a background.

You may think that sounds expensive, but it's actually on par with the cost of the cheapest nikkor macro lens.

This kit is awesome considering all the extras you get like gaffer tape, gels, black tinfoil for gobos, etc, etc.

When I bought this it didn't come with the gaffer tape, and I still haven't found a local source for the stuff.

gaffer tape, btw, is a duck tape which tears easily and cleanly, is completely matte, adheres strongly but can be removed without leaving residue. Great for temporarily taping stuff to stuff, like gels to cameras or using the tape as a clamp.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:10 am

Here's a close up shot I took tonight. I don't normally go this close unless I'm trying to show people brushstrokes.

Again, this is a 55-200mm lens with only a 2ft minimum focal length. It's cropped, but straight from the camera otherwise (minor white-balance and exposure adjustments)
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:56 am

Thanks
Wayne
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 am

Is there an idiots guide somewhere as to how you actually post pictures to the site. I''ve never fathomed it out.
Thanks in advance if you can help.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:38 pm

j1mwallace wrote:Is there an idiots guide somewhere as to how you actually post pictures to the site. I''ve never fathomed it out.
Thanks in advance if you can help.
Jim,

an easy way is to open an account on Photobucket http://photobucket.com/ Upload your pics there. Then hover with your mouse cursor over the pic and a small dialog window will open. There you will find the code of the pic You want to use, copy it into the message and voilá...

Hope that helps

Günter
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 pm

The tags are above the window you type your message in and the one you want is Img. Click the Imp button and you will see 'Img' appear in braclets [ ] where the cursor is. After that you need to type the URL of of the image which does need to be uploaded on the net as the Marechal mentioned. Mine are stored on my own website and look something like http://www.quindia.com/graphics/nameofthephoto.jpg. After adding that arcane scrawl, click the Img button again and you will see [/Img] added behind it.

That's it!
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Gentlemen thanks for your help.
Ray thanks.
Cheers gents.