Du gamla, Du fria

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Du gamla, Du fria

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Tacitus
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Du gamla, Du fria

Post by Tacitus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:32 pm

The figures look really nice, but the uniforms are unfurtunatly not correct. The unit is depicted with Kalmar Regiment's colour but that regiment had the following uniform:

Your figures' uniforms are closer to the neighbouring Jönköping Regiment which had the following uniform and colours:

Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Man, i even have Jónkjòping colors, I honestly didn't think the uniforms were that well known and simply picked random flags and random colors.

Oh well Guess I have to put more effort into reseach.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Swedes are very good at keeping records of things, even better than the Germans, so we have extensive archives filled with information from the early modern age. Which in particular those who want to research their family history are greatly thankful of.

But this also means that we have very detailed knowledge about Swedish miltary uniforms. Especially after Lars-Eric Höglund spent many years in the archives and then published his research. And there is still new information popping up now and then about uniforms when other researchers visit the archives.

An easily available source to Swedish uniforms (and Danish-Norwegian) is my own website:

http://www.tacitus.nu/karoliner/infanteri1709.htm
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Tacitus wrote:Swedes are very good at keeping records of things, even better than the Germans, so we have extensive archives filled with information from the early modern era. ........
Tacitus,

Sorry if this sounds a bit sarcastic but we "germans" had most of our records burned away by a rain of bombs 70 Years ago.

http://digital.slub-dresden.de/kollektionen/

It was only recently discovered that in a certain City in a former Kingdom are vast quantities of records available and unharmed by a raging firestorm outside in which 60.000 civilians like my greatgrandparents perished.

A very sarcastic member of the greater germanic race. :wink:
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks that sight is definatly saved, so hopefully my sweeds will be more historic correct.

Thanks for the cretiqe and link, much apritiated. :D
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Tacitus, one of my partner's ancestors was involved with the Kalmar regiment around the time of the GNW, I'll send you some info privately soon...
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am

Looks like a quick change of colours and waistcoats, and you're there :D
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Another option could be Närke-Värmland Regiment. They wore tricornes from 1707 and thereafter looked just like the Jönköping picture shown above. That regiment participated in the major campaigns but also left a few companies at home to secure the border against the Norwegian hordes... :)
Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Artimas » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Tacitus:

Do you realize how archaic the phrase "Norwegian hordes" sounds to a person in the 21st century? :roll:

I loved it!!!!!

Artimas
Jefferson City, Missouri USA
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Artimas wrote:Tacitus:

Do you realize how archaic the phrase "Norwegian hordes" sounds to a person in the 21st century? :roll:

I loved it!!!!!

Artimas
Sounds quite normal to a person in the 21st century living in Denmark :lol:
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:46 pm

I loved it!!!!!

Artimas
Yes, it does sound archaic but in these days the term seems more appropriate than ever. Since the Norwegians found oil in the North Sea they have become one of the worlds very richest countries and the prices in Norway for food, cloths and other items are now very high. In neighbouring Sweden on the other hand the prices are much cheaper. As a result of this the Norwegians really do cross the border in hordes to fill their cars with less expensive Swedish products. There are large supermarkets popping up in the forests on the Swedish side of the border with the sole purpose to cater for Norwegians who do not want to pay ridiculously high prices for food (the Norwegian government is not so keen on free trade and protect their farmers with very high tariffs).

Here's by the way a picture of a Norwegian (maybe from before they found oil):

You still think the term "Norwegian hordes" is inappropriate? :D
Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Artimas » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Ha, ha.... a Norwegian back to his "roots" so to speak. :twisted: Looks like he could fit the category "one of a horde" (a little down on his luck).

Artimas
Jefferson City, Missouri USA
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:29 pm

janner wrote:

I loved it!!!!!

Artimas
Sounds quite normal to a person in the 21st century living in Denmark :lol:
You know very well that with out the "hordes" of Norwegians, the economy of much of northen denmark would collapse!

You owe us man!!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Tacitus wrote:Another option could be Närke-Värmland Regiment. They wore tricornes from 1707 and thereafter looked just like the Jönköping picture shown above. That regiment participated in the major campaigns but also left a few companies at home to secure the border against the Norwegian hordes... :)

Norwegians dosn't form hordes, we form parlaments!

like owls, the plural of norwegians is Parlament, as in a parlament of norwegians.

For sweeds it's gangbang, as in a gangbang of sweeds.

For danes it's a Boing 747, as in a Boing 474 of danes.