Westphalien and Saxon Troops 1812

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Westphalien and Saxon Troops 1812

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:36 am

Gents,

As I am still under the impression of the DWW :wink: (Derby Wargame Weekend) I currently looking into the possibility to rebase these figures to be suitable, for my eye, to play RtE with them.
Most of the units are based and composed to fit into the Newburry basing system and have therefore only 24 figures. It may be needed to raise them, on paper, to greater strenght.

Time will show how to do it..
The material I used for basing them is tough like concrete :roll: and they are glued on steel :!: plates.
Hm... 4 bases of 6 would be a possibility.

To be continued :D

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Friends,

If anyone is interested I could here also outline some historical background material about the Westphalien Kingdom and its army.
As this was my longtime First Choice of a napoleonic non-french Army I have also some knowledge gathered over the years.

To underline the above here are a few pics:
Attachments
arm_westphalie.gif
The Westphalien Coat of Arms
arm_westphalie.gif (41.39 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
14587_c.jpg
A helmet of the Westphalien Chevaux Leger Garde Lancers
14587_c.jpg (33.63 KiB) Viewed 3566 times

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:35 am

Günter,

Thanks for the beautiful photos, especially the helmet. I, too, have had a long-time interest in the Westphalian army -- I have spent many happy times in Kassel, Marburg, and Berlin (the GSA in Dahlem where many of the documents that had been moved to Merseberg have finally been returned). Indeed, I hope to get back to Germany this summer for research in Braunschweig and Wolfenbüttel.

I look forward to seeing what you have. If you are interested, I wrote a chapter about Westphalia in a book on conscription published a few years ago by Routledge (which sadly sells for the obscene price $150 US) and can email you, and anyone else interested, a PDF. Just send me an email.

From what I have seen in documents and memoirs (I have several dozen from Westphalian officers and enlisted men) that the much maligned army was better than often portrayed.

Regards,

Mike
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Dear Friends,

To say the truth I made the decission to start my Westphaliens all over again.
The reason for this is as mentioned before the basing material I had used for my Front Rank Westphaliens.

So over the coming months a steady built up of the Westphaliens is going to happen. Currently the first unit, the Chevau Leger Guard is with my painter who may paint them whenever he likes.

Pictures of them will be posted as soon as they are ready

Cheers,

Günter