Instant figures from a pot!

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:18 pm

I have now done a couple myself. I am not unimpressed by the result - ACW Perry plastics - dip painted on - should appear in a magazine article near you shortly :wink:
First figure took exactly 11 minutes to complete including paint on dip!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 pm

Come on Barry, don't be shy :wink: Let's see an example.
Pat
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:52 pm

First attempt at this so not sure what it will be like.

How is that
Last edited by Darkman on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:56 pm

Oh that was not as bad as I thought. so the others are
and
and

Having looked at the last one I think it is time to get the dull coat on it. But I'll leave this photo here for the before and after effect.

And after
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:52 pm

Did you use the creosote on these?

If so, nice! if not, still nice!

How long to paint??

Henry Ford
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Yes used the creosote :D on these. I used the strong shade and painted on not dipped.
The gun looks a lot better now that I have sprayed it with dull coat.

If I had the time it would be about 3-4 hours straight painting and that includes the bases. It is easier for the french foot as less buttons.
Advantage for me is that it works better on a white undercoat which means it is easier on my eyes than painting on a black undercoat. There is no shading at all. just block painting. However I do have cans of army painter blue and grey undercoat. so I might try the grey on some dutch figures, the blue worked very well on some union figures.

I will keep trying with the camera and see if I can do some better photos. I have painted a War of the Roses army this way and now do my DAK tanks.

One of the advantages is that if you want to add something afterwards like the fronts of the grenadiers hats, then you can do that no problem.

I like to play with my toys and not see them sitting unpainted in a box. This method means that I can build armies quickly and then get the odd unit to paint every now and then.
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:08 pm

I don't know, what's the world coming to :roll: Mind you I do have to admit they look rather good.
Mr Imrie showed me his recently :wink: and although I'm not won over yet I am beginning to concede that there may be something in it if you want to put armies on the table in double quick time.

I'm interested in whether those who have used the sludge think it is better to work the base colours on a white or black undercoat. I suppose for the ACW you could use their spray cans - takes me back to the time that Aly Morrison painted an entire Union army in a weekend using car sprays from Halfords.

Pat
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:46 am

Have to say that that looks really nice to me. I don't spend much time on my figures, just the basics, I only highlight the larger areas and only one time.

Do they get too dark if you have a black undercoat? As I use block painting a white undercoat won't do for me ;)
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:43 am

Heneborn to be honest I do not know, all I can suggest is try it. I have found white is best for me. I have for years black undercoated my figures and was starting to find painting the detail on 15mm figures a bit difficult. This has made that a lot easier.
I also imagine that it will depend on what paints you use. These are all painted in Vallejo which does do a good colour on black as well as white.

The one advantage of this system is that you do not have to be ultra carefull when painting a little wavy belt line disappears once you put on the army painter.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:44 am

All the little painting prejudices are popping out now :shock: Mr Connor I have always seen you as a 'purist' :wink: but yet you persist in peddling the spray can as a bona fide tool for the serious painter... an aberration in my humble opinion :lol: Undercoating should be done by hand without exception :wink:

You can't have a go at the creosote without acknowledging your spray can heresy :lol:

Henry Ford
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:50 pm

[quote="barr7430"]All the little painting prejudices are popping out now :shock: Mr Connor I have always seen you as a 'purist' :wink: but yet you persist in peddling the spray can as a bona fide tool for the serious painter... an aberration in my humble opinion :lol: Undercoating should be done by hand without exception :wink:

You can't have a go at the creosote without acknowledging your spray can heresy :lol:[/quote]

Surely the only way for a gentleman painter to undercoat is with individual hairs plucked, using irridium tweezers, from the rarely seen albino sable at two minutes past three on the third Saturday after the full moon and bound in an ununxium ferrule :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:55 pm

Sounds like the script fom one of your Pulp scenarios!!! :shock:

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:35 am

Surely the only way for a gentleman painter to undercoat is with individual hairs plucked, using irridium tweezers, from the rarely seen albino sable at two minutes past three on the third Saturday after the full moon and bound in an ununxium ferrule

Alternatively have your butler do it for you.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:03 am

Inspired by

'Tales from the Kingdom of Fife' :wink: I have tonite again pursued happiness from a tin of creosote :roll:
8 Foundry Napoleonic French Fusiliers in blue uniform (not greatcoats) finished and varnished. I think painting time in total was over 4.5 hours but these are complicated figures. In greatcoats it would have been easily a third of the time. Not unhappy with the results.. I will photo and post this time.

The ACW stuff I mentioned before has made it into an article I have written on 7 different painting styles due to be published in Battlegames next Issue (I think)

Henry Ford
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:34 am

Tales from the kingdom of Fife....
Here are some Tag Miniatures Thirty Years War figures I have done using the dip.
David