Instant figures from a pot!

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Instant figures from a pot!

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 23, 2008 9:26 am

David Imrie pointed me in the direction of this new product (mainly because we both have problems getting our painting to look half decent) :wink:

http://www.thearmypainter.com/gallery.php?page=2

Interesting idea, could be good for mass production... might experiment :!:

I have heard rumblings from the depths of darkest Lanarkshire that certain Mr PC is NOT impressed by dipping you figures in a tin of sludge :lol:

Anyone used it??
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri May 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Strange you should say that :!: :!:
I have recently purchased a tin and was thinking of asking my esteemed peers at to their opinions and experiences (if any) with this "medium"

Suffice it to say, that the "matt" finish is not as matt as I would like it, and the "nice shading" effect on sculpted lines applies, albeit not in equal measure, but noticably on areas where one does not wish to see any diminuation of colour or depth, resulting in in an otherwise "dull appearance overall - albeit silky, rather than matt. ( That's my personal opinion, - try it yourself and see).

I have just recently (in the past two weeks) experimented with "Strong Tone" on some figures. Its, well OK, but I would'nt recommend "dipping" your figures in it, and I would suggest overcoating in good "matt" varnish afterwards. I shall bring some down to "LOGW" Peninsula Game for comment. By the way - might work OK on armour/vehicles. My tin is now surplus to requirements :!: :!: if anyone of the LOGW wants to try it.

An unimpressed :( :( :(
Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Instant figures from a pot!

Post by theoldschool » Sat May 24, 2008 10:49 am

[quote="barr7430"]I have heard rumblings from the depths of darkest Lanarkshire that certain Mr PC is NOT impressed by dipping you figures in a tin of sludge :lol:

Anyone used it??[/quote]

I don't see the point of gripping your figures with a pair of pliers and dunking them into floor polish. Ian McLellan was using something similar nigh on 30 years ago with a black enamel wash.
Why not just use a colour wash, add a touch of pva and glaze medium, and then you can control the colour tone and depth.

Speaking to you from deepest Borders - Lanarkshire indeed !!

Pat
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:04 am

Where is the line then Pat... Carnwath??? :wink:

Henry Ford
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Sat May 24, 2008 12:07 pm

[quote="barr7430"]Where is the line then Pat... Carnwath??? :wink:[/quote]

Civilisation is this side of Carnwath :lol:
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Sat May 24, 2008 4:26 pm

I think I'm a sufferer of Properly Painted Mini Syndrome (bordering on snobbery :?: Hope not :) ) when it comes to painting up my own mini's with this sort of product. As Pat has said, glaze and wash 'em yourself with the degree of control you are used to and comfortable with.

Nothing against others using it. But it's just not for moi.

Cheers,

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Sat May 24, 2008 5:34 pm

Does this posh stuff do a similar job to what you see the gamers in america going on about dipping their figures in a brand of floor polish :?
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat May 24, 2008 6:24 pm

Close approximation Bob,

I'm still experimenting a bit, but not overly impressed to date :!:
I would go with Darrell, not that my painting is much to shout about, but this is one "short cut" that's a poor substitute.

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
Brian
Private
Private

Post by Brian » Sun May 25, 2008 2:31 pm

Pat,

civilisation does indeed exist in Carnwath although we never dip our figures we do however know how to base them, something that is lost in translation once stepping into the deepest Borders. :wink:

I have even heard of a mythical painter who has been looking for the fabled basing method for the last 30 years now it may not be civilised but it is dedication. :wink:

Speaking to you from Carnwath, Borders indeed!!! :shock:

Brian
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured ribbon.

Napoleon
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Sun May 25, 2008 6:29 pm

An interesting alternative to the floor polish dip
http://blog.coolminiornot.com/skeeve/no ... ample.html

Pat
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Here's the news....

DI has fallen for the sales patter of the DIP MAN. Results coming to you soon apparently (as soon as he get's off the train from Newark to Leven). I drove and I'm faster than LNER!!!! :wink:

Henry Ford
Brian
Private
Private

Post by Brian » Sun May 25, 2008 8:45 pm

Looks interesting, much more control and more colour choice thanks for the link Pat.

Cheers
Brian

Napoleon
Brian
Private
Private

Post by Brian » Sun May 25, 2008 9:38 pm

Barry,

that DIP MAN has a lot to answer for, although one of the lads are bringing a tin over tomorrow he wants to try it out, I am not falling for the DIP MAN',s patter if it does not work I will paint my garden fence with it :lol:

How did Partizan go today I hope you and David had a good time I will look forward to the photographs. :wink:

Brian

Napoleon
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Mon May 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Just tried the sludge will post the result tomorrow :)
David
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:49 pm

I bought a can about a year ago at birmingham games expo.

I like to get my armies on the table and fighting. So I tried it and I liked it, so have other people who have seen the results. Oh and I paint it on rather than dip.

I use the soft tone for flags and the like and strong tone for other items.
If someone could tell me how to put photos on here I could show you the results.

I do understand that people like to paint all the shading and tones themselves. But getting a Battalion on the table in a couple of nights works for me.

And it does work very well on 15mm armoured vehicles and guns.

As for the shine I spray mine over with dull coat which works well.