New BLB Units for GNW

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Heneborn
Major
Major

New BLB Units for GNW

Post by Heneborn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:10 pm

Well I've been painting away lately. In all time I have between work and sleep ;)

First up is Södermanlands regemente a native swedish unit which was active throught the whole war in almost all theatres. Here they are using their 1702 uniforms. All Reiver miniatures.

Next is my first Danish unit, the Fynska regementet. One batallion participated in the WSS and the rest in the GNW. They turned out a bit dark but I like them! Also Reiver miniatures.

And next is a major screw up which ruined my day completely, I'll use it as a warning example though! It's supposed to be the Livdragonregementet but I didn't think clear when I decided to matt varnish them when it was raining outside. I was under roof so it didn't rain ON them but I suppose it was too damp outside...but the bases look good :lol:

nytullett23
Private
Private

Post by nytullett23 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks for your help on getting the images inbeded in posts, got there in the end. :D

Nice work, the units look like they mean business!

Sorry to see the varnish reaction to damp air, I find varnishing the worst bit of putting a unit together, hours of hard work can be wasted if it's not right. :x
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Heneborn if you put a gloss varnish on the unit that has gone white with the varnish it should sort out the problem and return them to good as new.
Pat
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi,
very nice units. Great colours.

With varnish I try to let my figures dry next to a radiator if possible. The heat seems to drive off more of the unwanted chemicals.

Also keep your cans indoors, the cold can have a bd effect on spray cans.

Lastly and most important is to make sure they are well mixed before use. I use Testors Dull coat and I give it a shake for a full 5 minutes before use.

Hope this helps

Gazza
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words and the tips!

I'll se what I can do about it and will get back to you!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Lovely stuff Henebron 8) What a pity about the varnish...

I brush mine on - water soluble acrylic from Daler Rowney or Cryla
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:28 pm

theoldschool wrote:Heneborn if you put a gloss varnish on the unit that has gone white with the varnish it should sort out the problem and return them to good as new.
Pat
Yep, it works wonders. Sound advice.

Shame it doesn't work on freshly painted Arab Light Cav that have just discovered black undercoat as a varnish :shock: . Happenned about two years ago and I'm still having nightmares about it :roll: .

Cheers,

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:28 am

It's been a while since I posted anything, a few units have been completed but I am specially proud of this one Riksänkedrottningens Livregemente i Pommern (The Queens Liferegiment of Pomerania, direct translated :wink: )

Musketeer Miniatures, really nice sculpts but took some time to paint for some reason...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:59 am

Really beautiful unit Heneborn.. your best yet! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
prince Repnin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by prince Repnin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:58 pm

Great job