Making terrain boards

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Darkman
Major
Major

Making terrain boards

Post by Darkman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:11 pm

Hope someone can help me here.

Having invested a few hundred pounds in figures I thought it was about time I had some nice terrain to fight them over.

Now I have a friend who is a wizard at terrain making small scale, but has never attempted terrain boards before.
Now he provides the ability to do nice terrain and I supply the elbow grease, but who supplies the foam that make the boards themselves?

Now we would like to use the high density foam (blue or pink I think it is) but cannot find a supplier. can anyone point me in the right direction and a rough idea of the cost?

Table size would be about 24 x 6.

Thanks in advance.
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saxon Warrior » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:17 pm

You might try Sheffield Insulations, they do a wide range of such things. I am sure they have their own website, but I do not know what it is.
You could do worse than www.SheffieldInsulations.com
It seems to work but I can't be messed to check it for content.
Dave.
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saxon Warrior » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:26 pm

Back again, apparently the stuff is called Styrofoam and is actually Extruded polystyrene. The colour doesn't matter, the density is what matters. You want at least 32KG/M3.
Extruded polystyrene is the technical name but it's all called styrofoam, like all vacuum cleaners are "Hoovers".
Yellow pages would seem to be a good statring point.
Dave. (again).
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saxon Warrior » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:28 pm

What the hell is a statring point? I meant starting point :?

Dave.
Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:34 am

here is another one you could try :

http://www.styrofoam-online.co.uk/product.htm
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by subedai » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 pm

I don't know if this helps or if I'm too late but the builders merchants/home improvement chain of Wickes stores sells the right stuff. I was wandering through the local aircraft hanger of a store the other week and noticed it. I also checked the prices for an 8x4 board -for future reference- and remember that it seemed very reasonable although I can't remember the exact price.
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Jed at Antenociti does 2x2 styrofoam in various thicknesses. We site at
http://www.barrule.com/workshop/scratch ... ofoam.html