Start of my Great War AEF Force

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Start of my Great War AEF Force

Post by Me paints good » Mon May 11, 2009 6:25 am

After a hiatus, I'm getting around to the next project , which is suffering from a severe lack of direction because GW is lagging on the Over the Top supplement.

I figure I want two infantry companies and tanks in support. It'll be Second ID because that's my old unit.

P.S. If anybody knows who makes some good dullcoat let me know because the GW stuff that used to be swelll, no does nothing but cover my beautifully painted soldiers in snow flakes.....last two bottles I bought did this and testors just ain't flat enough.
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saxon Warrior » Mon May 11, 2009 10:56 am

I use Windsor and Newton acryllic matt varnish. Relatively cheap and I've never had any problems
DaveB.
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Mon May 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Saxon Warrior wrote:I use Windsor and Newton acryllic matt varnish. Relatively cheap and I've never had any problems
DaveB.
Don't know if that's available in the USA.
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Saxon Warrior wrote:I use Windsor and Newton acryllic matt varnish. Relatively cheap and I've never had any problems
DaveB.
OK, found a store that has it, gonna check it out tonight...hopefully no sheen!
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Unless this stuff takes a couple of weeks to dry, it's an epic fail. Right now my model looks like its been dipped in a vat of gloss coat
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saxon Warrior » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the varnish I recommended. I've painted literally hundreds of figures and had no problems. When I've used it, it has dried in a couple of hours.
I wonder if the stuff you buy in America is something different to the stuff we can buy, (from an artist's shop in my case), in the U.K? My varnish is a milky looking fluid/liquid? that's in a 75ml screw top bottle. It has a yellow and black label on the front that has "Windsor and Newton" as a top line, Galeria acrylic mediums on the black part of the label and on the yellow bit it says Matt Varnish in 5 languages.
On the back and sides of the label are the various warnings and instructions and a bar code, on my bottle it's 94376 96873.
If I knew how I'd post a photo to show you.
Once again I'm sorry for your ruined model and, as I said above, wonder if you have inadvertantly bought a different product.

DaveB.
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I might have bought a different product, it says "Windsor and Newton conserve art matte varnish."

I looked on their website and it said - "for those who want a finish with no sheen."
I figured that would be me, but when I put it on the model, I didn't just get sheen, I could see my reflection. Oh well, I still have the receipt. I'll go exchange it for exactly what you said right now. I'll let you know the results.

BTW my model isn't ruined, tell me, does the stuff you get flat varnish? I mean with no sheen? I'm not mad at all, just confused and bewhildered. :?
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saxon Warrior » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Absolutely, no sheen, they look just like they haven't been varnished. The stuff I use is a liquid, i.e applied with a brush, not sprayed and looks like diluted milk.
Also I shake it like a mad thing before I use it...don't know if it helps the varnish but, by God, it helps me :D
I suspect that the important bit in the title is "Galeria Acryilic Mediums"

Good luck.
DaveB.
P.S. It's similar in colour to the lighter grey on the forum pages.
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saxon Warrior » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Bit more. If you look at the Windsor and Newton web site, go to the Oils, solvents etc, etc page and you get two rows of three pictures. In the centre picture on the top row you will see a glass bottle with a yellow and black label. Buy a bottle like this that says Matt Varnish. Do not buy any other sort.
Further clicks indicate that there are two acrylic ranges, Galeria and a. n. other, buy Galeria.
Hope this is helpful, of course the U.S. site may be different. I believe you are U.Sian.

Even better luck,
DaveB
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:18 am

No worries, I actually ended up going with Modern Masters Dead Flat Varnish. It's about ten times as cheap and give a perfect flat finish...no sheen whatsoever. It looks a bit like white pva glu so you got to add a little water to it, but it dries clear and doesn't mess anything up.

I am still going to try the varnish you suggested thoug. Always looking for something better.