BLACK or WHITE?

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!

What is your preffered undercoat colour?

Black
74%
White
15%
Grey
9%
Other
3%

Total votes: 34
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:10 pm

So Coffindodger, can we see your big wullie?
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:09 pm

I've tried undercoating in black , white and grey with black being the main choice especially if the figure has a lot of black anyway in its final painted state (Shakos, boots, belts etc).

For figures with white uniforms (Austrian Napoleonics, Indian Mutiny etc) I tend to use grey as an undercoat and am impressed with the Army Painter grey spray whoch works a lot better and less grainy than the Halfords/ car paint type.

White undercoat makes it easier for me to pick out the details but can be a lot more work!
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Coyote wrote: So Coffindodger, can we see your big wullie?
By private appointment only at this stage. :P At least until I can figure out how to upload images from my computer to this site.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
dab
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by dab » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:43 pm

We use a Black undercoat.

To fix the Red/Yellow/white problem, I dry brush the while figure light grey and then go over the black areas again.
This might be a little more work, but it bring out all the detail of the figure and make it easier to paint, because all the detail is highlighted.
I will show this, some time in the furture when i paint my Indian Mutiny figures from Mutineer Miniatures and my Bavarian for 1682 from under the bed.
I used this method for my 10mm too, see below
http://www.falkirkwargamesclub.org.uk/f ... f=16&t=687
thanks
David
what of the long list to paint next ?
David
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:47 pm

My own big wullie arrived today. You may want to look at a service like picasa or flickr. You can upload pictures to them and then link them here.

Or get a wordpress or blogger account and use it as an online gallery of sorts.

I sometimes forget people aren't as lucky as I am. My brother has given me space on his website for free. No ads, full featured. I also have a nice camera and interest in photography, so that helps to easily get pictures online.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:44 am

Black for the same reason as most of the others, ease of shadowing and those hard to get places are sometime ok left black. I find if you can see it doesn't always mean you can get a brush at it.
Wayne