Westphalien and Saxon Troops 1812

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Gentlemen,

now that RtE is finaly arrived its time for me to place here a few pics of my playing troops, the Westphalien Army....

1st Division:

The Guard Troops

To be honnest, I dind't paint them but my friend Niel Wilson(UK)

Playing troops because after more then 10 years absence from wargaming and painting I needed something to play with while I was starting again to paint my own troops, in this case the Saxon 1810. I must say that my painting style is no match with the masters here, i.e., Barry, Clarence, Ray and so many others. But I am confident that I will find my way of improvement...

Here a pic of the saxon Garde du Corps:

And last but not least the Regiment König on my workbench:

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:45 pm

I look forward to hearing about their battlefield exploits with R2E!!!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:33 pm

As You command General Hilton :D

Some more pics of the Westphaliens

They are not many yet, but its a start :D

Figures are Front Rank of course, flags are from Flagdude
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:17 pm

You have enough troops to fight a 3-4 hour battle with R2E. All I would recommend is a couple more guns and another regiment of cavalry but actually you don't even need that. This is a similar sized force to the Dutch Belgian order of Battle in the Pierrrepont Farm scenario.. 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:28 pm

Always inspirational to see the "group shots" so to speak! They all look fine to me, keep up the good work!
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Heneborn wrote:Always inspirational to see the "group shots" so to speak!
:lol:
They all look fine to me, keep up the good work!
And me too! Excellent work sir 8) 8) 8)

Cheers,

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:09 am

Thank you for your comments. I noticed that my Guards weren't that well to be seen on there only picture so I will show them in more detailed views..

The Grenadier-Garde, the figures are Steve Barber

The Jäger Garde

and the Elite Carabinier Jäger

And to inspire those who like group shots or larger views I have this one

Hope You enjoy it as much as I do :D

All comments are welcome

Cheers

Günter
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 am

Your figures look even better in the second lot of photographs and that's a good sized force you have. It is also nice to see a force that isn't composed of the usual French troops that one normally sees. I had a 15mm Saxon army many years ago which I sold along with all my other Napoleonic collection and seeing your troops makes me think of redoing them again in the future along with the Westphalians, and Italians but only once I get my Russian army finished then my French, Poles, Brits and Americans. One day..... :?

Cheers
Dave
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:44 am

obriendavid wrote:Your figures look even better in the second lot of photographs and that's a good sized force you have. It is also nice to see a force that isn't composed of the usual French troops that one normally sees. I had a 15mm Saxon army many years ago which I sold along with all my other Napoleonic collection and seeing your troops makes me think of redoing them again in the future along with the Westphalians, and Italians but only once I get my Russian army finished then my French, Poles, Brits and Americans. One day..... :?

Cheers
Dave
Maybe that's why I haven't painted a single Napoleonic mini for myself since I was eleven :lol: .

Seriously though, kudos to anyone who tackles more than one Napoleonic army has my respect.

Cheers,

Darrell.

PS. Dave, check the club forum for my announcement :?: .
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:10 am

obriendavid wrote: ........I had a 15mm Saxon army many years ago which I sold along with all my other Napoleonic collection and seeing your troops makes me think of redoing them again in the future along with the Westphalians, and Italians but only once I get my Russian army finished then my French, Poles, Brits and Americans. One day..... :?

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,

Same here. When starting the Westphaliens and the Saxons I asked myself " Why not doing Poles as well?" :D
The great scheme is to gather the 3 Corps of the Right Wing Grande Armee 1812 all in all about, on RtE terms, 4000 figures including the Polish, Saxon and Westphalien Corps and the IV. Cavalry Corps as well.
The reason: Not one french Soldier in these Corps, all foreign and the best troops in Napoleons Europe. That will keep me busy for the next Years I think... :D

Cheeers
Günter
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:51 pm

MarechalNey wrote:
obriendavid wrote: ........I had a 15mm Saxon army many years ago which I sold along with all my other Napoleonic collection and seeing your troops makes me think of redoing them again in the future along with the Westphalians, and Italians but only once I get my Russian army finished then my French, Poles, Brits and Americans. One day..... :?

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,

Same here. When starting the Westphaliens and the Saxons I asked myself " Why not doing Poles as well?" :D
The great scheme is to gather the 3 Corps of the Right Wing Grande Armee 1812 all in all about, on RtE terms, 4000 figures including the Polish, Saxon and Westphalien Corps and the IV. Cavalry Corps as well.
The reason: Not one french Soldier in these Corps, all foreign and the best troops in Napoleons Europe. That will keep me busy for the next Years I think... :D

Cheeers
Günter
One of my plans for the future is to have all the units for a refight of Utitsa which is the French right flank at Borodino where the force is composed of mostly Poles supported by the Westphalians. The Russians facing them are also a good mixture of troop types with grenadier divison including the Pavlov grenadiers supported by other infantry and the Moscow militia and cosacks. But before I finish my project I also have Borodino to organize as a LOGW display game for 2012.

Cheers
Dave
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Dave,

wow, thats a huge project, even if you want to do only the right wing of Borodino. That will need quite a couple of models :shock:
On my part I go to strengthen my Westphaliens in the next months so they reach 15 batallions, 5 batteries and about 4 regiments of cavalry. After that or maybe between I paint my Saxons a bit further to bring them to 2 brigades infantry, 1 cavalry brigade and a 4 batteries like this

The single gun model to the right is one of their 4 gun Regimental Batteries

The funny part is, if someone can say this about war, that 1812-2012 will see some rare battlescenes, ie., Russian against Prussians or Russians against Austrians.

Best wishes
Günter
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:15 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Re: Westphalien and Saxon Troops 1812

Post by Anonymous » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Churchill wrote:Hi Gunter,

What a nice force of Napoleonic's you have, they look very impressive.
My own on going project is Waterloo in 15mm which I started in 1997 with the French.I'm doing every battalion of infantry,regiment of cavalry and battery of artillery at a scale of 1 figure represents 50 real men and 1 artillery model per battery.The French are finished and it comes to just over 1,300 figures.The Prussians are almost finished and then it will be the turn of the Anglo-Allied's.I've got the table tiles to represent the battlefield and the buildings for Hougomont, La Haye Sainte, Papelotte and Plancenoit.
I'm also working on two british light cavalry brigades using Front Rank figures in 28mm.

Please give us a battle report when you get to use them :wink:

Best Wishes........Ray.
Hi Ray,

Thank You for that compliment!
If I had heared earlier about this monster of yours I could have contributed some 45`frog' batallions to your work. They are from the Ney's III.Corps at Lützen plus the 1st division of the Young guard, some 14 batallions. The scale is like yours 1:50 as we played after 'The Age of Eagles'-Rules. Now they are standing useless in a vitrine and waiting for better days :(

I hope to start with RtE this year after our little game next weekend.

Günter
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Gentlemen,

for those who may be interested who this friend of mine ist who did this fine painting job (and by taking the posts of steve as a hint :wink:) I herewith give you Neils page so he may take credit from what I posted here

http://www.wilsonsminiatures.co.uk/index.html

Best wishes

Günter